Styles in Sheet Layers

HI All,

I am trying to set up my sheet layers, so that whenever I add text to a sheet layer. Like when I edit the viewport and add text to the viewport. How do I set up the sheet layer so that a style is already applied to the view port so that all future text applied to the viewport will automatically have the style applied to it.

Hope that makes sense.

thanks

Andy

• Like 1

The only way to predetermine how text will look in VW is by using text styles. These show up in the resource browser. These are constant across both Design and Screen Layers. The trick to keeping them looking consistent as much as possible is to draw in your Design Layers at the same scale as the majority of your output of your Viewports in the Sheet Layers. This is because text styles use Pt sizes and these absolute which means that thy remain constant as the scale of the objects you draw can change. (If you are used to AutoCad then this is actually simpler IMO). Just make the Text style you want active before typing your text.

To create a text style you will need to format your text: Text/Format Text in the top Menu will open up dialogue box and you can take it from there. Alternatively, if you right click in the resource browser you can create a new text style. There is even a "New Resource" button at the bottom that does the same thing.

Come back if you need further explanation. 

Thanks Mark. I do understand all of what you mention here.

When I try to use the Callout tool in a viewport, that has a style applied to. The style will only effect the text size , but not the text colour.

Can you understand why this is happening?

Is it because the text attribute line colour has  priority over the colour in the text style applied to the Callout?

I hope I make sense, thanks.

Andy

I am not sure you can apply a text style to a viewport. Even creating viewports in a certain class and assigning a text style to that class won't make a difference either.  However if you decide that you want to create a "Viewport Text" class and draw using that, then the text style that you assign to that class should be assigned to all the text drawn in that class regardless of how you are creating the text. However, VW seems rather erratic in this regard and getting text to always default to the text class is a bit hit and miss. Somebody here may be able to help with this further.

Normally the colour of the text style will take precedence over anything in a Callout or other tool. After you have created your callout you can just change the text style to "unstyled". The text size etc won't change, but the colour will change along with the geometry of the callout or other tool that you are using. This is my experience.