Move by point tool duplicates all at same location.

Juay

Question

Hi all,

I am having some difficulty with the move by points tool.

The duplicates that is have are all inserted at the same exact location as my original selected object even though I have set my mouse to a certain direction.

I have attached 2 screen shots. One is while i have displaced my mouse in a direction. One shows the 3 objects as 1 object as they are stacked on top of each other.

Can anyone let me know if I am doing anything wrong?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 12.34.38 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 12.34.47 pm.png

10 answers to this question

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the link.

I went through the video and can't seem to find out where i was wrong.

I am trying to copy 2 more of the columns along a new line, hoping this line make it more obvious.

I have taken another 3 screen shot that hopefully shows you my 3 steps:

1.The first click with the move by point modes showing

2. The 2nd click

3. the object info shows 3 objects but still i see only one in my main window.

physically deselecting and selecting 1 click at a time after that proves the 3 object are at the same location.598443fca50df_ScreenShot2017-08-04at5_47_12pm.png.e2fd8600d3e3ebb0fd39199d6d18b8dd.png598443f9c637f_ScreenShot2017-08-04at5_46_36pm.png.9c20254ec608d8fdbb8a9fefd6030d0f.png598443fe79b4b_ScreenShot2017-08-04at5_46_57pm.png.563e805bcaf89a7ac6b08a7ae712adfc.png598443fca50df_ScreenShot2017-08-04at5_47_12pm.png.e2fd8600d3e3ebb0fd39199d6d18b8dd.png598443f9c637f_ScreenShot2017-08-04at5_46_36pm.png.9c20254ec608d8fdbb8a9fefd6030d0f.png

That column is a Feature in Wall.  Duplicate target locations have to be in same wall. Move by points direction has to be parallel to the wall, or at least have a component parallel to the wall, ie diagonal to the wall.  If Move by Points direction is perpendicular to the wall, then the duplicates stack up at same location in the wall.

If the goal is to create/place columns that are not In-Wall features, several options are available:

•Duplicate in Place your column, then use the Modify> Move command, or the Select tool to move the duplicate to a new location.

•Place a new instance of the column on the drawing, but not in a wall. (assumes this column is created with the Column
Tool in the Building Shell tool set

•If the column is a symbol (rather than a Column Tool object), activate the Place Symbol tool and place a new instance of the column, but do not place it in a wall.  

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:02 PM, markdd said:

Have you tried this with any other objects? For instance, create a clean file,  draw a simple rectangle and do the same procedure. See what happens then.

Hi Mark,

I will try that and see what happens

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:32 AM, Pat Stanford said:

Any chance that your mouse is sending a double click and the tool is assuming that it is two separate clicks at the same point?

Pat,

I think that is unlikely as I got to drag my mouse to another location before clicking it again and the items then got duplicated.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:50 AM, Benson Shaw said:

That column is a Feature in Wall.  Duplicate target locations have to be in same wall. Move by points direction has to be parallel to the wall, or at least have a component parallel to the wall, ie diagonal to the wall.  If Move by Points direction is perpendicular to the wall, then the duplicates stack up at same location in the wall.

If the goal is to create/place columns that are not In-Wall features, several options are available:

•Duplicate in Place your column, then use the Modify> Move command, or the Select tool to move the duplicate to a new location.

•Place a new instance of the column on the drawing, but not in a wall. (assumes this column is created with the Column
Tool in the Building Shell tool set

•If the column is a symbol (rather than a Column Tool object), activate the Place Symbol tool and place a new instance of the column, but do not place it in a wall.  

-B

Hi Benson,

Thanks for pointing the part about the Feature in Wall,

I came across that the other day when I was searching about this problem.

Having said that, in my first set of photos I was moving parallel to the wall.

I presume that is what you are trying to tell me about?

Hi, Juay - Looks like you made an object with the AEC>Pillar command, or  with the Column tool or Pilaster tool or other modeling tools (extrude?), then applied the Create Wall Projection command resulting in a Feature in Wall.  Apparently , a Feature in Wall object does not respond as expected to Move by Points. I see the same stacked duplicates if duplicate direction is perpendicular to the wall, and same fail to duplicate if direction is parallel to wall.  I assumed all the "In Wall" features (Door in Wall, Window in Wall, etc) worked same way. Not the case. Sorry for my confusion.

Perhaps a different approach?  Model the column with modeling tools and commands, or create the column from the Building Shell Tool Set with the Pilaster tool, or the Column tool. Or, use the AEC>Piller command to create your column object. But do not apply the Wall Projection/Recess command.

The Pilaster object auto inserts "In Wall" if created at wall edge (Wall edges highlight) and responds as expected to the Move by Points.

The Column object does not auto insert in wall, but responds as expected to the Move by Points.

The Pillar object (AEC command menu) does not auto insert in wall, but responds as expected to the Move by Points.

Continue posting with question and comment until you get the answers you need. Many here power users and will lend their experience.

-B

9 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Hi, Juay - Looks like you made an object with the AEC>Pillar command, or  with the Column tool or Pilaster tool or other modeling tools (extrude?), then applied the Create Wall Projection command resulting in a Feature in Wall.  Apparently , a Feature in Wall object does not respond as expected to Move by Points. I see the same stacked duplicates if duplicate direction is perpendicular to the wall, and same fail to duplicate if direction is parallel to wall.  I assumed all the "In Wall" features (Door in Wall, Window in Wall, etc) worked same way. Not the case. Sorry for my confusion.

The Pilaster object auto inserts "In Wall" if created at wall edge (Wall edges highlight) and responds as expected to the Move by Points.

The Column object does not auto insert in wall, but responds as expected to the Move by Points.

The Pillar object (AEC command menu) does not auto insert in wall, but responds as expected to the Move by Points.

Continue posting with question and comment until you get the answers you need. Many here power users and will lend their experience.

-B

Hi Benson,

You are correct. I did use the create wall projection. I was trying out the way that the Vectorworks Spotlight guide did it.

Now that i redo it using the Column tool under the toolset and did not use the wall projection, the move by point works as expected!

Thank you so much for the pointers!