Updating Symbols in Drawing

Hey,

I create some custom symbols/lighting instruments and added them in my drawing. Now I went back and edited those symbols slightly but I'm wondering:

1. Does the lighting instrument automatically update with the new symbol changes?

2. How can I update all of the currently used symbols on the drawing? Is there anyway just to make it auto-update?

I searched but couldn't find a clear solution to this.

Thanks for your help

Lighting symbols that have been converted to instruments only update when you edit them or run the "Update Instruments" command from the SPOTLIGHT menu. If you click on a symbol or selection of symbols then you run this command it will only update the selected instruments or click the "Refresh Instruments" button in the Object Info Palette.

I see, thank you for the detailed answer. I actually don't have "Update Instruments" on my Spotlight menu, only "Refresh Instruments"

What I'm really trying to figure out is -- I have a certain class set to be the color GREEN, but for some reason it won't show up as green in wireframe view but DOES in other views (top/plan, openGL, etc). Any idea on why that might be? Other classes DO show color in wireframe view so I'm pretty confused.

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 3.55.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 3.58.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 3.58.50 PM.png

Edited by i.eric___