Filename Tabs

mjm

Question

As per JimW's advice:

I wish upon a star for readable filenames on a tab. Currently approx 24 characters or less are visible and in this century, that limitation is worse than passé and frankly, inexcusable.

Even a tooltip or hover tip would be helpful. Not the best solution, but in the interim…

For ex:

Who knows which milestone project below is V1 and which V0?

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 8.53.03 AM.png

• Like 1

12 answers to this question

Some specific improvements for the file tabs bar:

--1--

Filenames that are exceedingly long should include the first part of the filename, then an ellipsis..., then the last past of the filename. The middle part of the filename is usually the least consequential. For example, many people end a filename with a version number or date, but with the way tabs currently work this often gets obscured (such as in the first two tabs in the post above).

See the way Finder truncates filenames:

5983617a7279e_ScreenShot2017-08-03at10_46_17AM.png.5c23a9f521b33d509b6900f06ffe02f3.png

--2--

The tabs should expand to fill the width of the space they have available, and become smaller only when more tabs are added. This would help display more characters. For example, compare the way Safari tabs work (expand to fill space) versus Chrome tabs (each a fixed smaller width, like VW). Although I use Chrome, I like Safari's tabs better.

Safari:

598360a58bd91_ScreenShot2017-08-03at10_42_21AM.png.054cfa5368f083e427182ed932a7b563.png

Chrome:

598360a626eec_ScreenShot2017-08-03at10_42_41AM.png.30aa7ca6cad9fcbcc5182da55321840c.png

--3--

There should be a 'plus' button after the last tab to quickly open a new file.

--4--

I like the idea of a tool tip / hover tip mentioned above. It would super helpful when hovering over a file's tab to see a pop-up with the following:

• FULL filename.
  • Location where it's saved.
  • Last saved time (and perhaps time elapsed since last save).
  • File size.
  • Like 4
10 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

--1--

Filenames that are exceedingly long should include the first part of the filename, then an ellipsis..., then the last past of the filename. The middle part of the filename is usually the least consequential. For example, many people end a filename with a version number or date, but with the way tabs currently work this often gets obscured (such as in the first two tabs in the post above).

5983617a7279e_ScreenShot2017-08-03at10_46_17AM.png.5c23a9f521b33d509b6900f06ffe02f3.png

--2--

The tabs should expand to fill the width of the space they have available, and become smaller only when more tabs are added. This would help display more characters. For example, compare the way Safari tabs work (expand to fill space) versus Chrome tabs (each a fixed smaller width, like VW). Although I use Chrome, I like Safari's tabs better.

Safari:

598360a58bd91_ScreenShot2017-08-03at10_42_21AM.png.054cfa5368f083e427182ed932a7b563.png

Chrome:

598360a626eec_ScreenShot2017-08-03at10_42_41AM.png.30aa7ca6cad9fcbcc5182da55321840c.png

--3--

--4--

I like the idea of a tool tip / hover tip mentioned above. It would super helpful when hovering over a file's tab to see a pop-up with the following:

• FULL filename.
  • File size.

These are great wish additions.

KM

23 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

--1--

--2--

Safari:

Chrome:

--3--

--4--

• FULL filename.
  • File size.

Andy: thanks for the detailed analysis. Concur in all regards.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

File Tabs on windows have outpaced Mac in 2018. 

Windows now has the UI element to add a new tab at the end of the tab row.

Windows now has hover-over text showing the full name of a file when hovering on tab names.

Windows tabs can be re-ordered.

The above are planned for the Mac side as well. Also, I've put in a request for a quick link to the File > File Info of a given document. As its very useful to have but would be better if it was closer at hand.

On 30/11/2017 at 2:07 AM, JimW said:

File Tabs on windows have outpaced Mac in 2018. 

Windows now has the UI element to add a new tab at the end of the tab row.

Windows now has hover-over text showing the full name of a file when hovering on tab names.

Windows tabs can be re-ordered.

The above are planned for the Mac side as well. Also, I've put in a request for a quick link to the File > File Info of a given document. As its very useful to have but would be better if it was closer at hand.

So we will see Vectorworks drop these horrible 3rd party tabs in favor of the platform provided ones?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 12/2/2017 at 4:43 PM, Matt Overton said:

So we will see Vectorworks drop these horrible 3rd party tabs in favor of the platform provided ones?

Not sure, we do build the Windows and Mac tab systems separately so the logically it would make sense to me, but I havent heard any talk one way or the other about adopting the OS supplied system. I THINK we built ours right before the OS one was introduced at least on the Mac side.

On 12/2/2017 at 5:34 PM, mjm said:

This is terrifically exciting to me.

@JimW: Any idea when this will be delivered?

Not sure on that either, but its very rare to have one UI side outpace the other for more than a version.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

Not sure, we do build the Windows and Mac tab systems separately so the logically it would make sense to me

I don't mind a 3rd party look of any UI Element.

No problem with whole own UI that differs from macOS or Windows.

UI Elements shouldn't be worse of course.

I think it would be even nicer if VW would look the same no matter which platform