OpenGL Snapping Issue

digitalcarbon

Question

22 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 minutes ago, digitalcarbon said:

i have already spent 2.5hrs on it and included a video.. I'm done

Next time, please make sure to submit the file and a description as requested through the normal bug report channel, having different employees receive the file manually via email or dropbox can really slow things down and make it hard to track issues.

Splitting this thread off into Troubleshooting.

• Like 1

ok, i don't actually know how to submit a bug report...i will look into

how about this instead... i have a select service subscription so instead of offering me tech support by way of phone...

do this instead...

i have a shared "something" with VW tech support that i upload the trouble file/s and a video explanation then they get back to me within 24 hrs..

i think that would be way more productive...for both parties

so @JimW,  lets break the chains of blah, blah and pioneer some forward thinking ideas...

please let me know when we can start. 

1 hour ago, digitalcarbon said:

ok, i don't actually know how to submit a bug report...i will look into

how about this instead... i have a select service subscription so instead of offering me tech support by way of phone...

do this instead...

i have a shared "something" with VW tech support that i upload the trouble file/s and a video explanation then they get back to me within 24 hrs..

i think that would be way more productive...for both parties

so @JimW,  lets break the chains of blah, blah and pioneer some forward thinking ideas...

please let me know when we can start. 

That would work just fine, Tech@vectorworks.net for now, as the support folk do not monitor the forum directly.

2 hours ago, JimW said:

as the support folk do not monitor the forum directly.

This I find puzzling. As far as I can tell most of the users here are paying customers. Fixing bugs is in everyone's best interest. As the forum shows, in many cases its more important than new features in the day to day workflow.

2 hours ago, JimW said:

Every time I go to this page it gets more ominous and unwelcoming. Its worse than the old forums. With the red text and capital letters it almost feels like its yelling at you for submitting a bug. I'm sorry if I'm harping on this but I really think the NV attitude towards submitting and fixing bugs is outdated. Honestly, if I wanted my Service Select subscription money to go towards one thing, and one thing only, it would be having Jim's team responsible for this.

As this thread shows, bugs are eating up a lot of productive time on both sides. The quicker they are logged and fixed, the sooner we can all work on other things.

How about an incentive, I'll file bugs using the old form and every time I do, NV gives me a discount on my Service Select plan renewal :D

Kevin

(Sorry for the rant, I really think this is important. I also really worry that bugs that appear in this forum aren't necessarily getting reported.)

• Like 3

I understand the process is annoying and cumbersome, I agree completely and plan to replace it. 

However it is still the current process and the one that should be adhered to for the time being.

4 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

(Sorry for the rant, I really think this is important. I also really worry that bugs that appear in this forum aren't necessarily getting reported.)

This is a very serious concern. To prevent it entirely, make sure all bugs are also filed through the bug submit form. Ideally a simple forum post would be enough, but it currently is not.

2 minutes ago, digitalcarbon said:

Skype and first name basis maybe...as a group of people that are pushing the envelop 

No, skype voice chat is incredibly difficult to log, translate to other languages, and refer to later. It might be hyper convenient for the submitter, but it is not a reliable means of tracking issues and verifying their re

sults. To say nothing of the time zone issues, connection speeds and security concerns.

5 minutes ago, digitalcarbon said:

it seems like the "power users" should get teamed up with the "bug-fix-it" team

More and more, you'll start seeing engineers here discussing things and I'd be pleased for a first name basis relationship to develop, but until such time as the policy on technical support and bug submission changes, please use the correct channels.

57 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

This I find puzzling. As far as I can tell most of the users here are paying customers. Fixing bugs is in everyone's best interest. As the forum shows, in many cases its more important than new features in the day to day workflow.

Every time I go to this page it gets more ominous and unwelcoming. Its worse than the old forums. With the red text and capital letters it almost feels like its yelling at you for submitting a bug. I'm sorry if I'm harping on this but I really think the NV attitude towards submitting and fixing bugs is outdated. Honestly, if I wanted my Service Select subscription money to go towards one thing, and one thing only, it would be having Jim's team responsible for this.

As this thread shows, bugs are eating up a lot of productive time on both sides. The quicker they are logged and fixed, the sooner we can all work on other things. (like our projects, the whole reason we've invested in VW)

How about an incentive, I'll file bugs using the old form and every time I do, NV gives me a discount on my Service Select plan renewal :D

Kevin

OMG, this.

Thanks KM

This thread went sideways into bug submit process (I agree bug submit should be easier). But I want to add a comment about the original problem.  Two kinds things happened to "solve" the selection limitation: First, all the ungrouping. Second, a crash.  The crash resulted in a vwx restart, probably an OS restart, too.

So, maybe vwx was unstable for other reasons? With symptoms including faulty selection?  Ungrouping inside the symbol definitions in the referenced files may have been involved in the instability, or maybe not.

Would it be worth regrouping those items inside the symbols to see if that reproduces the selection problem?

I know, more time on this problem.

-B

• Like 2

Benson,  i did the ungroup thing the day before and it fixed the problem. then i immediately went back and grouped but the problem did not resurface..

then the next day the problem came back.  so i did the video shown...

i felt that it resurfaced today but had no time to investigate...if it does it again i will try another video