plan to reality,- how do I explain my people

Hi @ all,

I want to start this general thread that deals with the workflow, AFTER having all my Vectorworks problems solved and my plans are finished, hope this is not too off-topic:

I am wondering how others proceed with their drawings on the building site, does anyone use tablets or laptops ? I'm still the old fashioned print out guy that produces paper prints, packs them into weather resistent plastic bags and hands them out to the construction guys. Some guys then make pictures of these with their smartphones, which is definitely an anachronism to using a 3d drawing that already exists as electronic copy. So I wonder what is the best way to bring detailed views, 3d views and plan views to those that have to realize my plans in the end ? Anyone here using Nomad for that ? What are the experiences ? What is the simpliest way to show a construction worker a 3D Model and explain details ?

How do I bring a 3D model to the outdoor construction site, when it is raining cats and dogs, without ruining my laptop ? Anyone here using a weather-resistant laptop for that ?

Does anyone do last minute corrections of plans on the building site, and how do you communicate the changes ?

Does anyone carry a full VW version with dongle to the construction site ? Or only PDF's ?

Looking very much forward to share some experiences here...

Edited by halfcouple

I'm more exhibitions / live events, but for me the iPad works a treat.

I export PDFs into a folder then markup as necessary and make changes when I am back on my laptop.  Funny how people like to take photos of the screen - I find that too - quick and easy I guess.

I also find a 3D web view works wonders and really helps contractors (and clients) just"get it" straight away

Hope this helps

Andrew

Plan for the worst,; rain, wind, no wireless, no cell access.

I make pdfs available and normally take plans to site. (and jpgs sometimes (easier to scrol around with phone).

Many of my sites are out of cell/wireless range so that should be a consideration.

Contractors are tactile, so give them something to feel, people still love paper, and people can scribble on it - and in my experience, when the network dies paper still works.

Contractors tend to be a wide mix of ages and you don't want older folk tuning out with a whizzy presentation.

I have done simple 3D live presentations to contractors  using Sketchup, last one was showing a guy 500km away where I wanted a track dozed across a hillside (using Joinme), I also do client and contractors remote sessions and it works a dream. But on site paper is best. 

If you use A3 stiff plastic envelopes you can markup on the outside and scan/photo as you go.