More immersive feel

jcaia

Question

I love Vectorworks for its "drawing on paper" feel in many instances.  However, I do feel generally there could be a better immersive feel to BIM modeling.  Having tried other apps like Archicad, Revit, and Allplan those apps feel like you are in the model building things - and then you "print" views of the project.  In Vectorworks, it feels like the page/paper are windows through to the model - therefore a slightly detached feel.

Again, I started using VW when I just produced 2D drawings - and I LOVE the way the app feels with that regard.  I just think as BIM changes this industry, Vectorworks should move a bit more towards that general feeling with some quick view tools we currently dont have.  A good example of this is the fact we dont actually have any method right now to have multiple active view/windows active as changes are made.  There are others examples, but this suggestion is more a generalization.

Edited by jcaia
  • Like 1

3 answers to this question

16 hours ago, jcaia said:

A good example of this is the fact we dont actually have any method right now to have multiple active view/windows active as changes are made.  There are others examples, but this suggestion is more a generalization.

Check out Teaser Tuesdays under Announcements here in the forum.

19 hours ago, jcaia said:

it feels like the page/paper are windows through to the model - therefore a slightly detached feel.

Have you tried interacting with your 3D model in OpenGL in a Design Layer in Perspective with "Cropped Perspective" turned off? Your model then fills the entire work area of your screen, but perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean by 'windows through to the model'.

Also, one of the best ways to immersively interact with your model is with a 3Dconnexxion mouse, but if you don't have one I'd suggest using the walkthrough tool (I personally love the gamer mode of that tool).

On 8/2/2017 at 9:54 AM, Andy Broomell said:

Have you tried interacting with your 3D model in OpenGL in a Design Layer in Perspective with "Cropped Perspective" turned off? Your model then fills the entire work area of your screen, but perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean by 'windows through to the model'.

Also, one of the best ways to immersively interact with your model is with a 3Dconnexxion mouse, but if you don't have one I'd suggest using the walkthrough tool (I personally love the gamer mode of that tool).

Thanks for the suggestion - i'll try what you are suggesting, and I do have the 3Dconnexxion mouse.

What I was really talking about more was the fact you seem to "need" to create paper spaces in order to maximize flexibility of the software.