classes....scroll to active or scroll to selected?

grant_PD

Question

I'm sure it's been asked before:

Select an object. 

Right click on its class in the OIP and you can "scroll to class in Navigator." 

Select an object.

Right click on it and "Edit Class."

Have the Navigator automatically scroll to the current class and layer when nothing is selected. 

• Like 2

7 answers to this question

On 8/28/2017 at 3:31 PM, grant_PD said:

I've been eyeing smartpaste for this reason.  But I'm not sure if it's really what I need.

Smartpaste is awesome for this.  
It is a little cumbersome the first time - but then the next time you copy something over from that DWG - it will remember the mapping.  

It does this through a worksheet that it creates in your document.  I have not tried, but I bet if you copied that worksheet into a new document, it would bring the mapping with it - so you over time you can create a standard office class mapping with your consultants.

50 minutes ago, grant_PD said:

Does it map back?  So if I'm working with an office that uses AutoCAD, and I bring in their classes and map them via Smartpaste, when I export out a .dwg back to the office, will it map classes back to their standard?

Not that I know of - Smartpaste only deals with incoming objects.  As far as I know, it has nothing to do with exporting. 

Vectorworks has export mapping built in though:

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2016/eng/VW2016_Guide/DXFDWG/Mapping_Layer_and_Class_Names.htm

You can build a map and then apply it when you export to DWG.   You can have different maps for different consultants.  

On 2017-08-16 at 0:48 PM, Andy Broomell said:

I imported a DWG today; here are the classes:

Andy:

I have all imported classes from DWG so they have the suffix: "IMPORTED" I find that a big help especially with Imported Surveys & Site Servicing Plans, I also add a suffix to the IMPORT such as IMPORT-S  for Structure, IMPORT-SS for Site Service & IMPORT-SRY for Survey.  Do you ever find that useful?

I do some prefix-ing as well.  But I think the original point here was that we need a way to scroll to them quickly.  C4D has a "scroll to selected" feature for its object manager.  Click on the item in the viewport, scroll to selected, and you can see what it is, it's tags, etc.  We need that for Classes in VW.