Teaser Tuesday - Direct Editing of Sections and Elevations - Vectorworks 2018

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Apologies, I don't understand, what is it you're thinking you would be able to do related to this in 2017? To clarify: This is a section and elevation editing mode for 2018 and it doesn't affect how Hidden Line works in 2017 or 2018. You won't see surface hatching etc.

Edit: I think currently you could set OpenGL to have edges, but no colors or textures and get a similar effect outside of editing modes, if that's what you meant?

32 minutes ago, JimW said:

Apologies, I don't understand, what is it you're thinking you would be able to do related to this in 2017? To clarify: This is a section and elevation editing mode for 2018 and it doesn't affect how Hidden Line works in 2017 or 2018. You won't see surface hatching etc.

Edit: I think currently you could set OpenGL to have edges, but no colors or edges and get a similar effect outside of editing modes, if that's what you meant?

Oh - I just wanted to approximate hidden line rendering in my everyday life without having to recalculate.  I was hoping that it was some new 2018 trick that could be used beyond sections - or even better something I could do now and just did not know about. 

I have done that with OpenGL - but I my model is very gray - even when I have no lighting, colors, or shadows.  

43 minutes ago, JimW said:

You are seeing OpenGL perform some magic tricks that makes it almost identical to Hidden Line, without having to wait for Hidden Line during the live editing.

With these new 2018 improvements to OpenGL, does that mean there is no longer any need for the regular RW Hidden Line mode?

17 minutes ago, rDesign said:

With these new 2018 improvements to OpenGL, does that mean there is no longer any need for the regular RW Hidden Line mode?

This is a special case from what I understand, not a systemic upgrade in all instances where OpenGL is used. even in this special case, it does not do everything that Hidden Line does, it just does a pretty good job of "faking" it on the fly so that you don't have to wait for hidden line, (or wait for another section calculation for that matter,) between edits.

2 minutes ago, rDesign said:

JimW - thanks for the clarification. I was hoping that it would be a global OpenGL improvement so that we no longer have to wait for Section DLVPs to be updated.

I suspect that if/when (I honestly do not know whether it's If or When) OpenGL becomes capable enough and supports all the smaller bits that Hidden Line does very well, specifically surface hatching, texture alignment and intersecting edges, that it would be able to supplant the older HL.

Not sure I get it.... but I guess its an architecture thing. It seems like there's now a direct link between a section viewport and the clip cube, so when you choose "Edit Design Layer" you're actually editing a clipped version of your model.

I hardly ever edit a model from a sheet layer viewport in my workflow, so that might be what puzzles me.

Kevin

3 hours ago, Tom Klaber said:

I have done that with OpenGL - but I my model is very gray - even when I have no lighting, colors, or shadows.  

What if you turn Ambient Lighting all the way up to 100%? I THINK that will remove any remaining elements of grey from OpenGL with color and textures also disabled. Obviously not a PERFECT fix but wanted to suggest.

7 hours ago, JimW said:

To get a better idea of the 3D relationship, you can even rotate your view while editing the live section. This can help position objects or just get a better vantage point.

DirectEdit03.gif

Mirroring, move by points and alignment also work in this editing mode:

DirectEdit01.gif

DirectEdit02.gif

The main intention of this feature is to dramatically reduce the number of times you need to enter and exit a section. It also solves the issue of finding the objects you’re trying to manipulate, when in previous versions this was difficult due to the view modes being restricted to wireframe.

I can't remember the last time I mirrored or section through tables and chairs in a section viewport?

IMO it would have been more useful to add editing in clip sections in XYZ planes... rather than XY only BTW nice GIF

14 hours ago, Matt Overton said:

Sooooo...... do we get a tease about similar function for plan viewports next week or are you going to string us out till the same time next year?

Only Section and Elevation VPs. What part of this would you want for regular Plan viewports that the usual "Edit Design Layer" doesn't supply? Since Top/Plan viewports always appeared on the sheet nearly identically to the plan in terms of what you could see/edit, while Sections had to be recalculated each time you edited anything in older versions before you could see your changes.

14 hours ago, BCE said:

I can't remember the last time I mirrored or section through tables and chairs in a section viewport?

I picked random things to edit for the gif, what types of actions would you prefer to see?

14 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

What does it look like when you rotate the view while editing a section that is not a straight cut (eg. a section line with a step in it)?

Gives a close approximation, however it will not show a limited depth, it focuses on the sectioned plane.

Unknown.png

14 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Can you live edit the section cut plane/line?

You can not, it's more about editing the model from this specific view. The sectioning itself would still be controlled outside this edit mode.

18 hours ago, JimW said:

What if you turn Ambient Lighting all the way up to 100%? I THINK that will remove any remaining elements of grey from OpenGL with color and textures also disabled. Obviously not a PERFECT fix but wanted to suggest.

Still pretty far away from what your demo is displaying Jim. The line quality is much sharper and blacker than default OpenGL. It's very crisp, so I assume there's no creasing angle set.

I really like it too. Apart from the fact that it appears to show lines between floor levels where one wall meets another.