Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

3d Mirror node

AlanW

1 hour ago, Alan Woodwell said:

Hi, basic extrude to start with. was using get 3d orientation to re orientate if as i though it was causing the issue.??

Started with the stage one Mirror object_KM

Untitled03.vwx

Mirror object_KM.vwx

Alan,

The Mirror object it looks like it will accept 3d points but the mirror command its based on only accepts 2d points so the node ignores the Z values. That's why in my attempt (on the Mirror Attempt layer of my file) only allows you to choose the X or Y axis to mirror around. I'd be more curious as to why you can't mirror a group of Control Geometry.

I think the Mirror command ( vs.Mirror(obj, dup, p1, p2) ) must of been added in VW2017. It doesn't appear in the VW:Function Reference on the Vectorworks Developer website. Hopefully one day the documentation for all this new stuff will catch up....

Kevin

37 minutes ago, Marissa Farrell said:

@Kevin McAllister

Try playing with the contents node with your control geometry. I can get it to work (a little); still looking into it.

EDIT: It doesn't seem to work with nested groups, but if get all your stuff into one overall group, I think it will mirror. (It doesn't like all shapes, though)

Interesting. I can't get anything to mirror if I place it in a group within the control geometry (no nesting, just simple objects grouped into a single group, the group being the only thing in the Control Geometry container). I've tried a duplicate of my simple extrude which will mirror. I've also tried a variety of 2d shapes. In fact its really buggy. Try duplicating my extrude, moving it over slightly and then creating a solid addition from the two extrudes...... it disappears when you exit and when you undo it brings you back to a whole stack of polygons... not what I started with at all.

(When I get some spare time I might try building my own 3d mirror node using the VS Flip3DObj command....)

KM

Edited by Kevin McAllister

PS. Don't worry if you cant see the extruded items in top/Plan mode (0 on num pad) Hit(5 on num pad to see (top plan) or make all your extrudes Autohybrids or use slabs etc HTH

Also thanks @Kevin McAllisterfor the reminder about the 3D flip, i recall i was playing with this ages ago when the original mirror node did not work.

Edited by Alan Woodwell

My understanding of Control Geometry is that it can only be a single VW "Handle". So you can pass a single rectangle, but if you want to pass two rectangles you have to group them first and then split them back out in the network if you need to do different things with them. They come of out the Control Geometry using the List Explode (and probably other list handling nodes) in the stacking order of the objects, so the stacking order of the control geometry ends up being very important.

Hopefully @sbarrett& @Marissa Farrellwill correct anything I have gotten wrong.

20 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

My understanding of Control Geometry is that it can only be a single VW "Handle". So you can pass a single rectangle, but if you want to pass two rectangles you have to group them first and then split them back out in the network if you need to do different things with them. They come of out the Control Geometry using the List Explode (and probably other list handling nodes) in the stacking order of the objects, so the stacking order of the control geometry ends up being very important.

I remember reading that before.... thanks for the reminder Pat.

(I desperately wish all of this documentation was in one, easily accessible and searchable place.)

Kevin

• Marionette Maven
7 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

My understanding is the same, you are correct as far as I know.

I would suggest using the 'contents' node rather than having to ungroup the control geometry to use it, though.

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...