Volumetric light from the sun

zeno

Do you use a heliodon with a physical sky ?

That should have a suitable tint at these angles.

Remember I had once a purple sun light.

Took a while until I realized it was the fill color, which I always have activated for 3D

+ set by class + I apply colors for lights and cameras that I do not use anywhere else.

Would prefer color settings in lights itself.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Unfortunately, Directional lights and Heliodons (which are basically a special Directional light) can not have Lit Fog. This makes it very difficult to create "God Rays" coming from windows and skylights.

You can do it with a Spot light placed very far away (so that the rays seem parallel rather than coming from a point just outside the window) but this is limiting since you can't make it interact with a physical sky like you can a Heliodon. It does allow direct control of the color however.

I am not sure if this is a limitation of the Lit Fog tech we use or if it was just disabled because of how long renders trying to create lit fog infinitely far away from the scene would take.

• Like 1

That's interesting. There was a really impressive render posted on here by@Luis M Ruizwhich showed a library in a house with lit fog enabled. It was atmospheric because you could see the beams of light from outside coming in through the window. But I could see that he had made it with a non directional light object as you could see the beam outside the window as well. A really interesting development of a glass texture might be that only light passing through a certain texture is rendered with lit fog, as in light entering a smoke-filled room from the outside. Maybe a "lit fog" section to the Indirect lighting options that already make up a texture.  That would be very cool.

• 4 years later...
On 7/31/2017 at 8:57 AM, PVA - Jim said:

Unfortunately, Directional lights and Heliodons (which are basically a special Directional light) can not have Lit Fog. This makes it very difficult to create "God Rays" coming from windows and skylights.

You can do it with a Spot light placed very far away (so that the rays seem parallel rather than coming from a point just outside the window) but this is limiting since you can't make it interact with a physical sky like you can a Heliodon. It does allow direct control of the color however.

I am not sure if this is a limitation of the Lit Fog tech we use or if it was just disabled because of how long renders trying to create lit fog infinitely far away from the scene would take.

Add this to the Vectorworks Paradox list (2 or 3 tools that almost get the job done).

• Like 1