Placing a door at height in a wall.

Hi, I am fairly new so forgive me if this is a stupid question but I am trying to place a door in a wall at 2880mm. It is the rear door of a first floor property that leads down to a garden but I cannot seem to raise the threshold of the door in the wall. I am also not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question as I am new to this forum. Any help appreciated.

Many thanks

Robertas Garden.jpg

Not a stupid question - what you've found is a limitation in VW.  Doors are 'glued' to the bottom of the wall - raising the door, like with command-option-M, moves the entire wall up, and setting door height simply lowers the top of the door relative to the floor.

For a work around, try using the window tool, set to Casement.  Under Settings, go to Jamb & Sash - set Sash Width to some very small number, like 0.01 inches, and set glass thickness to 1.75 (or 1.375, depending on door thickness).  Under Classes, set Glazing to something other than Glass-Clear - define a class texture that matches whatever texture your doors use.

There is another option that might make more sense.  Looking at your model, there must be a floor or landing at the top of the stair, on the opposite side of the wall.  Create a second layer, call it Upper Level or something.  Set the wall height of the lower floor (the one you've been drawing on) to reach to the layer above.  Copy the wall from that layer, and paste it on the upper level layer, then adjust the wall height to whatever you need.  Set your door to the upper level.  The joint between the upper and lower level should read as seamless - you should be able to set it so it is.  This would be a more correct solution than trying to work around with a casement.

Thank you so much Chad. I'l be honest for my requirements your first advice has done the trick. I was thinking along the lines of your second advise but wasn't sure if it would work and I will try that when I have a bit more time. Certainly for first draft to show a client this afternoon the casement work around has done it for me.

Really appreciate your thoughts and time.

21 hours ago, Chad Hamilton HAarchs said:

Not a stupid question - what you've found is a limitation in VW.  Doors are 'glued' to the bottom of the wall - raising the door, like with command-option-M, moves the entire wall up, and setting door height simply lowers the top of the door relative to the floor.

Chad, I think you are confused. You can certainly adjust the location of doors in a wall vertically.

1.  With the Door in Wall Selected near the top of the OIP is a field called Height. Change this and the door will move up or down in the wall.

2.  With the Wall Selected and in a 3D view, you can use the Reshape tool to grab a point on the door and move it. If you have the Wall Insertion mode turned off (which prevents the door from being moved out of the wall), you can move the door up/down/left/right as much as you want. You do have to be a little careful to make sure you grab a point on the door. Watch the cursor and wait until it changes to the 4 arrows radiating out.

I want to say there is another way also, but I can't remember it right now.

Or am I completely misunderstanding the problem.

• Like 2
  • 4 years later...

I had a similar issue with moving a door vertically on a wall. I found that if a door is placed on the drawing outside of a wall you can set the 'Z' height and then move the door into the correct place in the wall. The 'Z' height can't be adjusted while the door is in the wall.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LT_9797 said:

The 'Z' height can't be adjusted while the door is in the wall.

In the "Door in Wall" OIP, the Height parameter changes the Z-Height placement, not the vertical height of the door.  The user interface could use improvement.  I only checked with Unstyled door & wall.

Edited by E|FA
  • Like 4
  • 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, Flair-Studio said:

Hi,

If you wanted to move the door say a step upward

from the bottom of the wall, and then you wanted to interrupt the wall underneath in order to insert said step, how would you do that??

If the door doesn't include a threshold you can use the threshold to clip the Wall underneath the door by assigning the 2D + 3D geometry to an 'Invisible' class i.e. a class that is always turned off. You need to increase the height of the Door + adjust it's elevation in the Wall accordingly.

Or another option is for the step to be a symbol inserted in the Wall + the symbol will clip the Wall.

Or build your model with two Walls on top of each other: a below Slab foundation wall + above Slab Wall.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Flair-Studio said:

If you wanted to move the door say a step upward

from the bottom of the wall, and then you wanted to interrupt the wall underneath in order to insert said step, how would you do that??

another option is using new wall closure system with wrapping for bottom edge on and some minus overlap figure. It works really well!

Snmkaobrazovky2023-06-23o9_45_58.thumb.png.05de2c92f3e2f1091186be6ee0fb85c8.png

Snmkaobrazovky2023-06-23o9_46_27.thumb.png.a9f496ea4627bb3747fcfb6398bc6903.png

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, drelARCH said:

another option is using new wall closure system with wrapping for bottom edge on and some minus overlap figure. It works really well!

Snmkaobrazovky2023-06-23o9_45_58.thumb.png.05de2c92f3e2f1091186be6ee0fb85c8.png

Snmkaobrazovky2023-06-23o9_46_27.thumb.png.a9f496ea4627bb3747fcfb6398bc6903.png

Is there a clever way to do it without the face component actually wrapping into the opening...?

15 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

If the door doesn't include a threshold you can use the threshold to clip the Wall underneath the door by assigning the 2D + 3D geometry to an 'Invisible' class i.e. a class that is always turned off. You need to increase the height of the Door + adjust it's elevation in the Wall accordingly.

Or another option is for the step to be a symbol inserted in the Wall + the symbol will clip the Wall.

Or build your model with two Walls on top of each other: a below Slab foundation wall + above Slab Wall.

Tom you are a Star...

In the end I used a 3d symbol so I could customise my step

Thanks so much

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, drelARCH said:

You still can achieve empty space under the door. But I guess you are aware of this.

Snmkaobrazovky2023-06-23o10_00_26.thumb.png.d4cc9ead049916d83f921ee14d07b2a8.png

Do you mean by setting the negative overlap such that it clips the whole section of Wall under the door? If so that's a very neat trick thanks for sharing!

• Like 1