I'M A SCATTY BRAINED MADMAN...

7 hours ago, danbates said:

opt-Scool?!

In the Mac's System Prefs > Accessibility > Zoom, check the "Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom:" checkbox and choose one of the 3 modifier keys. When you hold that key down and roll the mouse wheel your screen will zoom about the cursor. I use the the Control Key, since VW uses the Option Key on the Mac for almost everything.

597b95f775f69_ZoomScreenwithScrrollWheel.png.3446bc7b60ad7a19004c9dca78f0f46c.png

This is a HUGE saver on aging eyesight and a lot cheaper than those fancy goggles.  8-)

Raymond

Zoom Screen with Scrroll Wheel.png

• Like 1

Funny, I never look north west.

I either look south east in navigation palette if accidentally in class mode

or mostly north east in OIP after I draw something,

to check which class was active :)

Caring about classes is oldschool.

Classes should be auto selected and changed by VW,

like it works by PIOs.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

I've recently noticed that the Eye Dropper tool has a pref that changes the active class of the drawing to the class of the "picked" object.  That pref has probably been there for ever, but is this intentional?

I thought the intent would be to pick (eye dropper) attributes, including class, from a source object, then use the Put (bucket ) mode to change the class (and other attributes) of a target object or selection, and only of the target object (or selection).  But this action also changes the active class of the whole drawing to the class of the source object. Really messed me up several times!

-B

Eyedropper Class Pref.png

• Like 1

@Benson Shaw It's not the Class parameter that's specifically doing that, but rather the "Pick Up Sets Defaults" checkbox. And it's affecting more than just the active Class: it can also, for example, change the active pen and fill colors to match the object you sample from, allowing you to draw more objects with the same attributes. Or you can "pick up" a font from a text box to make it your active font with which future objects are created. Etc.

If you uncheck "Pick Up Sets Defaults" you should find that your Active Class doesn't change when using the Eyedropper.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, zoomer said:

Caring about classes is oldschool.

Classes should be auto selected and changed by VW,

Yes, as much as is possible, PIOs and symbols do it, but often when using tools to draw primitive objects VW has no way of interpreting your intention.

eg - is my Polygon a profile for an extrude, a sightline study or a driveway kerbline?

Will it become a path object in an EAP or remain on final drawing documents?

We used to have the Task Manager to handle this pre-decision and class activation but it was retired to the VW tools & tricks museum

Paying attention to classing is very much now-school in my world, however it's done:

I notice a  lot of folks use scripts to set the task but you're right VW should handle it, perhaps the wish is a graphical task manager palette that's merges the script palette customization that people use with the look & layout of the Organization dialog and the Resource Selector

@Andy BroomellOK, yes, sort of. Never ran into this until recently. My Pick Up Sets Defaults must have been enabled unwittingly. Also, the Pick Up Sets Defaults requires some conditions not stated in the manual.

This from VWX help:

Pick Up Sets Defaults

Changes the default Attributes palette settings to match those of the source object; objects created from then on use the attributes of the source object

Testing shows that this functionality only applies to the attributes palette items with By Class. Otherwise, the source object attributes are not transferred to the attributes palette. Source object needs to be By Class, too, I think.

Apparently, some combo conditions of drawing settings, source object settings and Eyedropper prefs produce different results from the Help statement.

Anyway, thanks Andy, for pointing out this pref! Learning every day!

-B

• 4 weeks later...