Saving rendered viewport

zeno

Question

Sometimes when you finish to elaborate a rendered viewport (maybe after hours) you need to manage the object for impagination setting. Not for rescaling picture, but for exemple you need to move it into the sheet layer, aling it, cut it, eccetera..

Try to move a rendered viewport and then press cntrl+z WIN or cmd+z macOSX. The rendered viewport disappeared, and it's easy not to take it positively. The same when you need to recover the backup file. All viewport are losts.

So: could be very helpful to find something for really saving the rendered viewports, even when "saving cache viewport" is enabled. Maybe is just sufficient to create automatically a png image on the final process, like when you separate a pdf file, you know?

Thank you and have good work

Z

Edited by Zeno
  • Like 3

15 answers to this question

Thank you for the response,

maybe could be applied automatically when the picture is elaborated. This means that the user can't accidentally delete all with a simple cmd+z command or similar. I don't know what the picture elaborated really is, I mean "inside" the viewport.

Even I can do I manually, this operation can make some confusion during the workflow.

More powerful more simple... for the new users too.. 

Agree. It is bad to see a viewport turn wireframe after waiting for hours to render it. 

I have made it to a habit to option drag the viewport (copy) out of the page and convert to group after each rendering. Then I have several to compare how the render style settings affects the image. 

When the final render is ok i might delete some of the older to save space. 

42 minutes ago, JimW said:

I want this AND Render History! The two sort of tie together.

Forgive me if I use the wrong terms, I'm still learning C4D, but the Picture Viewer has functionality that I would absolutely want, maybe even embedded in Viewports. It will give a list of previous renders for a given file or scene, show how long the render took and (I think) show you the settings that were changed between versions. It also consequently lets you click back in your history and see previous renders and allows you to extract/export the image in any of the saved states.

It could stop the infinity-loop-copy-viewport-and-retry-one-more-time-with-other-setting session :D

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JimW said:

I want this AND Render History! The two sort of tie together.

Forgive me if I use the wrong terms, I'm still learning C4D, but the Picture Viewer has functionality that I would absolutely want, maybe even embedded in Viewports. It will give a list of previous renders for a given file or scene, show how long the render took and (I think) show you the settings that were changed between versions. It also consequently lets you click back in your history and see previous renders and allows you to extract/export the image in any of the saved states.

I would love this 'Picture Viewer' concept to be implemented in Vw. Additionally, I would like it to have a Preferences option to automatically in the background Export a JPG / PNG / TIFF of the Rendered SLVP at its size & DPI.

I don't know how C4D deals with rendered image history, but if Vw were to save all of the previous SLVP renders inside the .VWX file, I could see working .VWX file sizes increase dramatically. It might be better to have all of the previous rendered images saved externally (exported) in a dedicated folder automatically created next to the .VWX file.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Agreed.

I've also been meaning to look into what image format/compression we use for saving viewport caches, it seems suspiciously large and maybe we're using an older-yet-lossless BMP format or something similar that has great quality but overly large filesize. Might be something we could just flat out replace with a more efficient compression type or maybe give users options for external/internal storage and formatting.