Teaser Tuesday - Multiple Drawing Views - Vectorworks 2018

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 minutes ago, HEengineering said:

AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB?

For one to three 1080p displays that would be perfectly fine, maybe a single 4K screen. That GPU itself is perfectly good but you need a LOT of VRAM (generally 4GB+) to handle more than a single 4K display with something like this.

12 minutes ago, HEengineering said:

Actually running an old 30 inch Mac cinema display(2560x1600) off a 2014 4k 27" Imac(2560x1440).   Im no hardware expert.  Seems like I should be ok? I run VW on the 27" Imac almost exclusively.

If you don't have any problems with complex files zooming and panning currently, no stuttering or slow response times, then you would most likely be just fine with Multiple Views in 2018. If that setup is struggling at all now in 2017, it likely would be quite problematic in 2018 with Multi View.

It is VERY dependant on what your model is composed of and how complex the details you show onscreen are on a regular basis, not something where we can simply say "This card will be perfect, this card will be lame." for, other than in extreme cases unfortunately.

52 minutes ago, JimW said:

That said, I have been in a number of meetings where we are reworking the system requirements and recommendations to be more detailed and comprehensive for 2018.

This would actually be a useful thing to tease :D since I think most users renew their service select and upgrade hardware at different times....

Kevin

4 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

This would actually be a useful thing to tease :D since I think most users renew their service select and upgrade hardware at different times....

I agree completely. I am pushing to get this out as fast as possible.

(EDIT: I wouldn't be so cruel as to expend a whole Teaser Tuesday on it though, it would be separate when it went live ;)  )

• Like 1

I am guessing this is a no - but can you have the edit the EAP path in two different screens - so if I wanted to have a plan projection of the path - and an elevation view of the path - move a point in plan - then switch to move the point in elevation - all while seeing a 3rd shot of the result?

8 minutes ago, Tom Klaber said:

I am guessing this is a no - but can you have the edit the EAP path in two different screens - so if I wanted to have a plan projection of the path - and an elevation view of the path - move a point in plan - then switch to move the point in elevation - all while seeing a 3rd shot of the result?

MultiView finds your lack of faith... disturbing.

Sorry for the blip in the middle, i cut the part where I had to convert the polyline to a NURBS to allow for Z height editing, but I was able to do that even without leaving the edit mode in any of the panes:

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, JimW said:

MultiView finds your lack of faith... disturbing.

Sorry for the blip in the middle, i cut the part where I had to convert the polyline to a NURBS to allow for Z height editing, but I was able to do that even without leaving the edit mode in any of the panes:

That is cool.
How do you tell it what views are in editing mode and which vies stay rendered? 

I gotta say that the color selections for the active pane header switching from 'dark grey' to 'dark blue' is very subtle ( too subtle for my weary, aging eyes). Additionally, the dark text on the dark background is almost illegible. 

Will there be a preference to select colors that are more user friendly? (Better yet, have UI color choices that are more user friendly in the first place). Thanks.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, rDesign said:

I gotta say that the color selections for the active pane header switching from 'dark grey' to 'dark blue' is very subtle ( too subtle for my weary, aging eyes). Additionally, the dark text on the dark background is almost illegible. 

Will there be a preference to select colors that are more user friendly? (Better yet, have UI color choices that are more user friendly in the first place). Thanks.

Some of the beta testers have voiced the same concerns and I'm inclined to agree. At the moment it isnt listed in Interactive Appearance Settings, I'll check with engineering and see if thats the permanent plan.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Andrew Davies said:

How many sleeps to the next teaser Tuesday?  Go on Jim. Spill a couple more beans today. Teaser Thursday?

I have been explicitly told that I can't reveal that, however I will give this little tidbit:

Next Teaser Tuesday is a Renderworks feature! Which means it's one of my personal favorites.

53 minutes ago, JimW said:

Some of the beta testers have voiced the same concerns and I'm inclined to agree. At the moment it isnt listed in Interactive Appearance Settings, I'll check with engineering and see if thats the permanent plan.

Thanks JimW. 

I really hope that is not the permanent plan; I'd hate to see the roll-out of such a major new feature marred by poor UI decisions.