Teaser Tuesday - Multiple Drawing Views - Vectorworks 2018

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 minutes ago, bcd said:

And it's especially relevant now with greater screen real estate.

I can assure everyone that the INSTANT you start using this on a 1080p display, you will immediately want to upgrade to 4K to take advantage of it :x

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, JimW said:

The number of panes you create is completely up to you. If your machine has the graphics horsepower to handle it; you can have as many as you like! (I got to 16 before I gave up trying to break it running on a GTX 980 Ti. :D )

Finally! :D I just hope it works just as well with complex (~500MB) files as well as it appears to work with that relatively simple kitchen model.

Q1) What are the hardware specs of the computer that this preview demo is running on? Is this running on the GTX 980 Ti?

Q2) Does this mean that all of the VGM refresh / ghosting issues (thoroughly reported elsewhere on the user forums) have been fixed?

Fingers crossed!

13 minutes ago, rDesign said:

Q1) What are the hardware specs of the computer that this preview demo is running on? Is this running on the GTX 980 Ti?

Yep 980 Ti for this one which was shot on 2x 4K displays. It also has an i7 3.2Ghz 8core CPU but that would not factor into this performance much at all, multiview is all about graphics hardware.

Though I also had no problems using a Quadro M2000 or a GTX 660 Ti on a single 4K display, didn't test double displays on these however.

13 minutes ago, rDesign said:

Q2) Does this mean that all of the VGM refresh / ghosting issues (thoroughly reported elsewhere on the user forums) have been fixed?

It doesnt MEAN this, no, but work on this is helping to cure these issues too.

• Like 1

If this works, it will be a significant advance. Encouraging news.

I take it this is only design layer views? ie. we can't watch a sheet layer section viewport update live as we make changes to the model? Would be great to escape from the "update viewport" button which doesn't feel like it should have a place in a modern package.

Just now, line-weight said:

I take it this is only design layer views? ie. we can't watch a sheet layer section viewport update live as we make changes to the model?

You can view sheet layers as well, but only Wireframe (and I think Top/Plan) viewports would update their contents live. Renderworks or Hidden Line viewports have to have an update triggered by the user. I've frequently been leaving a pane open to my sheet layer so i can watch the progress of test renders while I work elsewhere in the file on the design layer in OpenGL.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, RGyori said:

Just to be clear, am i correct on presuming that Multiple Drawing Views is GPU dependent

Correct, almost entirely GPU based.

More components of Vectorworks will become multicore on the CPU as development continues (if they're still CPU bound tasks, unlike the items we've moved off the CPU entirely to the GPU instead) but this will happen gradually over time, not all at once like 64bit did. It's a very different type of conversion.

Now I ask myself, if I have, like in the example,

2 Wireframe + 1 OpenGL View

and I choose an RW Style from the Render Dropdown.

How does VW know which of the Views I want to render in RW Mode.

Or how do I change the "active" Window.

Do I have to click in a specific View or will a active Selection be kept when I click into

a View to activate. Or what when I am currently in a drawing tool ?

(I will watch the video later :) )

Edited by zoomer
2 minutes ago, zoomer said:

How does VW know which of the Views I want to render in RW Mode.

The active view is the one the rendering setting will modify. Generally though if you try to use a Renderworks mode in one of the panes in a design layer things will become slow, showing a sheet layer with a viewport works much better in my initial tests.

17 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Or how do I change the "active" Window.

Do I have to click in a specific View or will a active Selection be kept when I click into

a View to activate.

"Doing" anything in a view pane activates it, or you can manually click on the pane title at the top left to force it. However, any action will activate it, including drawing, clicking nothing, zooming or panning, so its fairly automatic.

1 minute ago, Itchy said:

@Tom Klaberhow do you find working on a screen of this size?

I really love it.

It felt silly for about 15 minutes when I set it up - now I hate working from home on my puny little 27" monitor.  It certainly helps if you can set it back a little or mount it on the wall - and would not recommend it if you have a narrow desk.  

My setup now is a 40" 4K next to my 27" 1080 - which is great.  Internet and side stuff on the 1080 - VW on the big screen.  

I think my ideal size would be 38" - but it has been a great purchase - saved me soo much over the large pro monitors (Screen was only $380).  I do not game or do too much real graphic work - so refresh rates and color correctness were not big needs of mine - which keeps the cost down.

• Like 1

Does the App need to be full screen to handle two monitor support or can view on the second screen be a separate window with say resource browser docked into it?

And Is it possible to set say viewports to create a picture in picture instead of the Return to Viewport button?

Edited by Matt Overton

Great tease!

I'm curious if its possible to link the render mode of all the open panes..... so if I shift from OpenGL to wireframe all the open panes shift at the same time.... I can see myself wanting this. I often switch render modes while working and I wouldn't want to have to switch each individually.

And what does it do if you double click to edit a symbol in one view? Do all the views switch into the symbol? What happens to the render mode(s)? Do you get an Exit symbol button in every pane?

Does the top row of the mode bar show the settings for the currently active pane then? (e.g.. the dropdown for views)

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Like 1

Yay!

Q1) How does this integrate with Saved Views? Can a Saved View save combinations of multi-view set-ups? Or, does a Saved View load into the Active Pane?

Q2) Is there a way to quickly jump "into" and back "out of" one of the panes? For example, in Cinema4D you can click the middle mouse button to expand one of the 4 views to fill the screen, then click again to return to the multi-pane display. This isn't a critical function; just curious.

If this^ doesn't exist, when you turn off then turn back on "Enable Multiple View Panes" does it recall your previous arrangement?

• Like 1