Teaser Tuesday - Multiple Drawing Views - Vectorworks 2018

20 minutes ago, Gaspar Potocnik said:

I've been trying some things out, LOVE this feature. Something I am not able to edit a symbol in 2d in one pane and 3D in another one, is this bug or feature?

I'm going to guess this is working as designed although its a little odd to have the 3d viewports go blank (or perhaps its just the symbol that disappears) when you edit the 2d portion of the symbol. Someone mentioned a limitation of not being able to cross between 2d and 3d pane views with tools and I would expect this is related.

20 minutes ago, Gaspar Potocnik said:

Also, is there any way to make the pane disposition saved in the user prefs? So when activated the default is to each users preference?

Multiple View Panes seems to remember the last setup you had when you toggle it on and off and this state seems to be saved with a file. I don't think there's anything beyond this so far. There was a wish list item for saving a group of panes/views.

Kevin

On 9/16/2017 at 4:56 PM, Kevin McAllister said:

Multiple View Panes seems to remember the last setup you had when you toggle it on and off and this state seems to be saved with a file. I don't think there's anything beyond this so far. There was a wish list item for saving a group of panes/views.

Yes, you are able to open the file with the same pane configurations when you save it.

In addition, you can also choose to save as a template so that you will have the same pane configurations when you create a new file with the template.

On 9/13/2017 at 10:32 PM, zoomer said:

I like that the panes change activation when you hover over one and use your scroll wheel to zoom.

(The C4D Style)

:$

For me this works with the mouse scroll wheel... but unfortunately it doesn't for my 3dconnexion device. If I am working in one plane and then move the cursor to another, make a movement using the 3dc device, it applies to the pane I was on previously.

I'm currently using one pane in perspective view and one in top/plan. I keep accidentally flipping the top/plan pane into a 3d view by making a move on the 3dc which I wanted to apply to the other pane.

4 hours ago, line-weight said:

For me this works with the mouse scroll wheel... but unfortunately it doesn't for my 3dconnexion device. If I am working in one plane and then move the cursor to another, make a movement using the 3dc device, it applies to the pane I was on previously.

Thanks line-weight for your input!!

Currently, the interaction logic is as follows:

1. If the user uses purely mouse interactions, e.g. left, middle, right mouse clicks and mouse wheel, the system will activate the pane under the mouse cursor.
  2. Otherwise, the system will apply the current interactions to the currently active pane (pane with blue border).

The main reason is that VW is not sure whether the user's attention is in the pane under the cursor or not. Let's think about the following scenarios:

1. When the user clicks on OIP and tries to modify some parameters on the selected objects with the mouse cursor on a pane, we don't want that pane to be activated because there might be other selection sets in those panes. 
  2. In a scenario of using 3D mouse, the 2D mouse cursor may also be moved away from the pane where the user's attention is, e.g. on other panes or in tool palettes. The best way, for now, is to apply the navigation to the active pane (blue border).

While I understand that sometimes the user would like to automatically activate the pane under the mouse cursor, there are also side effects here and we need to make the tradeoff. 

6 hours ago, line-weight said:

I'm currently using one pane in perspective view and one in top/plan. I keep accidentally flipping the top/plan pane into a 3d view by making a move on the 3dc which I wanted to apply to the other pane.

4 hours ago, zoomer said:

I may get a copy of the former other pane in that new pane and/or the former

no wrong 2D vs 3D mode of the Navigator.

I've submitted this as a bug. So hopeuflly we will be able to push the fix to the public sooner or later.

36 minutes ago, Chih-Pin said:

The main reason is that VW is not sure whether the user's attention is in the pane under the cursor or not. Let's think about the following scenarios:

1. When the user clicks on OIP and tries to modify some parameters on the selected objects with the mouse cursor on a pane, we don't want that pane to be activated because there might be other selection sets in those panes. 
  2. In a scenario of using 3D mouse, the 2D mouse cursor may also be moved away from the pane where the user's attention is, e.g. on other panes or in tool palettes. The best way, for now, is to apply the navigation to the active pane (blue border).

Scenario 1:

Have to say I'm not sure I'd realised that the selection in one pane can be different to the selection in another. Sometimes it seems like it is (when I'm inside the same group in both panes??) and sometimes it's not, as I realise from fiddling around just now. Makes my head hurt a bit to try and figure it all out but so far it seems to work in practice so will trust you guys to have thought it through.

But surely if I'm modifying some parameters in the OIP, my cursor is going to be over the OIP, rather than any pane? Or do you mean that in moving from the pane I'm working on (say Pane A), to the OIP, I might pass over another pane (say pane B) and activate it? In that case surely the logic would be

Click on pane A, cursor moves from Pane A to Pane B, click on pane B: Pane B becomes active

Click on pane A, cursor moves from Pane A to Pane B (no click on on pane B) then OIP: Pane A reactivates as soon as cursor reaches OIP

Scenario 2:

I think I disagree here: my expectation, intuitively at least, is that if I do something with the 3d mouse, it'll act on whichever pane is under the cursor. That's what I'd expect for any tool too - if I'm going to do some operation my attention will always be where the cursor is. If I've gone to a tool palette I'll come back to the pane before doing anything (I think?) but even if for some reason I've left the cursor on the tool palette, can't the logic I've described above apply?

I also think that 3D Connection devices should always change the pane that

is currently under the cursor. Like scrolling with a mouse.

Beside C4D, Bricscad and VW now I was always used to not having any active

plane because all planes were active. Also Tools and their handles everywhere

to pick where the sight was best.

So I do not yet understand the advantage of having different selection sets per plane.

(ok, I also always refused any different visibilities)

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, line-weight said:

Although some visibility options can be chosen on a per-pane basis, the "show other objects while in edit modes" can't. It would be useful if it could.

Hello line-weight:

Could you also post this on the wishlist board so that other users can discuss the wish in the same thread?

I am also collecting the multiview feedback on the wishlist board.

Thanks!!

Chih-Pin

Edited by Chih-Pin
  • 2 weeks later...

Seriously Vectorworks !?

Oh no, we can't have hotkeys redefined to bring more common commands on to easy keys.... but you are happy to redefine a long-standing shortcut to activate this feature.

Not to mention it's in complete contradiction to almost all interface conventions.

Single keys are for tool activations and modes. Command key combinations are for action and commands that appear in menus.

Can I suggest key command shift option M is available instead as default?

I also would say shift command M who uses the multi viewport command anyway. 

Edited by Matt Overton
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, amonka said:

This is a great feature for sure.   I was wondering however if it goes a step further.  Would be sweet to be able to set up different layer/class configurations for each pane... a quick way to work on many parts of a building at a time.  

I believe you can already do this. You need to uncheck "Use same visibilities in all panes" under View>Multiple View Panes.

Kevin

• Like 1