How to convince boss i am capable with VW

Five or so years ago I had not heard of VW and I had never touched a CAD package of any kind. I was new to teaching and someone asked me at the start of summer if I would teach VW. Being stupid and naive I said yes why not.

I downloaded VW and then lived and breathed it for the whole of summer. Days, evenings, weekends, holidays and my wife would roll her eyes each time I mentioned VW.

No magic bullet just hard work and crank out the projects which shows you are capable.

Upshot is I have been teaching it for 6 years in Jan and why o why did I say yes :(

• Like 1

As per previous posters, Just learn it your self in your own time, take your work home to get upto speed, dont tell them you are taking it home or learning on your own time, just learn it better than the rest and just bring the work in looking fantastic and sit quietly and eventually they will see the potential. When they as you to do something just ask what do you want and when do you want it. Don't give them a big speel about what you have to do, just do it. eventually if you have the passion, you will be leaving the others behind. It happens.

Good luck 

Another idea is if you have access to the CAD files that the former employee is creating (assuming they are using Vectorworks), is to poke around inside a copy of their file and study exactly how they set up the file: how they set up the Classes & Layers, how they organized the Design Layers & Sheet Layers, how they did their annotations, etc.

5 minutes ago, rDesign said:

Another idea is if you have access to the CAD files that the former employee is creating (assuming they are using Vectorworks), is to poke around inside a copy of their file and study exactly how they set up the file: how they set up the Classes & Layers, how they organized the Design Layers & Sheet Layers, how they did their annotations, etc.

A variation on this theme - understand how the old employee puts the drawing together, then write a description of they way they do it as a mini office drawing manual.  Create some in-house templates and drawing resource files based on other drawings.  that would help the office work more efficiently.  With your recent training, or by cribbing from VW training information, self-critique the way the office is doing drawings and come up with three ways the work could be done more efficiently.  Then present the whole package to your boss.

4 hours ago, Chad Hamilton HAarchs said:

A variation on this theme - understand how the old employee puts the drawing together, then write a description of they way they do it as a mini office drawing manual.  Create some in-house templates and drawing resource files based on other drawings.  that would help the office work more efficiently.  With your recent training, or by cribbing from VW training information, self-critique the way the office is doing drawings and come up with three ways the work could be done more efficiently.  Then present the whole package to your boss.

Exactly this save a minute out of someone important's day and they will see you as valuable.

Save a minute out of everyone's day and you'll be invaluable. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2017 at 0:29 AM, rDesign said:

This is very good advice. Learning by looking at how others have achieved things is incredibly helpful. Also, it will help you formulate for yourself what is good and also less good practice.

Reading this forum has helped me immeasurably. There are some incredibly helpful people here who want to share their knowledge.