Curved Walls and Moldings

Kevin McAllister

Question

What's the trick to creating nice clean moldings on a curved wall? I've tried all the regular tricks for the moldings - Extrude Along Path, Sweep, and Loft. Loft was the cleanest option and is shown in my example image. If you look at the baseboard you can see that the faceting in the wall and the faceting of the loft (which is very slight) are offset creating a very messy join. I created the loft by extracting the bottom curve of the wall for the rail.

This is clearly a curved wall issue. I'm using the wall for its hybrid feature. If I build the wall geometry from scratch I don't have this issue and my geometry matches much better. The faceting is also more pronounced as the radius of the wall increases. In this example the radius is about 60'. My 2d and 3d conversion resolutions are set to very high.

Also, is there a known issue with walls un-joining from each other when they are made into a symbol?

Thanks,

Kevin

59742a621b086_ScreenShot2017-07-22at7_03_55PM.png.ddc598605137c2156a6e1c11cdbfcbdc.png

Edited by Kevin McAllister

3 answers to this question

Dang, Kevin! Those facets should be resolved by the software, not by user workarounds.

Just some ideas. The baseboard could be made as a wall component or as a separate wall.  Not sure how the faceting will manifest. Your cove at top looks a better fit than the baseboard.  Is that an EAP?

What happens if you change the design layer scale by a lot?  Shouldn't make a difference, but maybe there is something similar to line weight interpretation. 

My sample on DL is 1:48 scale.  Wall is curved wall R60'. Baseboard is duplicate curved wall with parameters adjusted. Sorry, no cool texture. Faceting is not very noticeable on DL. Sheet layer (1:12 scale) is jaggy until about 300dpi. After that, the faceting shows up as slight waviness, but seems in phase, probably because the objects are clones.

Could the texture be messing up things? bottom edge of image not straight?  Maybe extend it behind the baseboard?

You'll figure out something that works.

-B

Roundwall.png

RoundwallSLVP.png

Edited by Benson Shaw

Hi Benson,

Thanks for giving this a try.

9 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Just some ideas. The baseboard could be made as a wall component or as a separate wall.  Not sure how the faceting will manifest. Your cove at top looks a better fit than the baseboard.  Is that an EAP?

My moldings are Lofts. The EAP and Sweeps I tried had pronounced faceting of their own. The offset of the two sets of facets made it even worse.

What happens if you change the design layer scale by a lot?  Shouldn't make a difference, but maybe there is something similar to line weight interpretation. 

That's a good thought. Unfortunately it didn't seem to affect things in the design layers.

My sample on DL is 1:48 scale.  Wall is curved wall R60'. Baseboard is duplicate curved wall with parameters adjusted. Sorry, no cool texture. Faceting is not very noticeable on DL. Sheet layer (1:12 scale) is jaggy until about 300dpi. After that, the faceting shows up as slight waviness, but seems in phase, probably because the objects are clones.

My design layer is also 1:48. The faceting varies a bit in Sheet Layer viewports. My favourite is the section, where it looks like a dog chewed on the molding....

5974c6920c26c_ScreenShot2017-07-23at8_49_12AM.png.81442fcbaee6ebb6c3b906e24960d222.png

I've often found it odd that VW can somehow draw the curves perfectly in wireframe. I wonder why this type of precision doesn't translate across to other modes.

5974c6940a885_ScreenShot2017-07-23at8_45_57AM.png.290a0a4be0545f7b7394f0790cc50657.png

I'll keep experimenting and maybe just switch back to using real geometry instead of the Wall PIO.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Its clearly a limitation of the Round Wall PIO. If I make a simple extrude from a polyline generated by clipping one arc from another I get much cleaner geometry. This image is OpenGL on the High setting. It improves a little more on Very High but there is still a perceptible difference between using basic geometry and using the Round Wall PIO.

Similar results on a Sheet Layer (second image).

Kevin

5974ca3ba4e57_ScreenShot2017-07-23at9_08_46AM.png.496c63b1a6a42dfa46ce98dc45f2cbc1.png

5974d20327e81_ScreenShot2017-07-23at9_41_47AM.png.2789703d470c3fc78caea663acaff09a.png

Edited by Kevin McAllister