Daniel B. Chapman

Simple Video Capture/Input Workflow | July 2017

3 posts in this topic

I'm going to reference this long standing thread as the baseline for this post:

I have a simple project requirement:
1) Run QLab or some other media server on a computer

2) Pipe that media server into Vision (PC) as a Video Input/Camera Input to be visualized for the design team so I can integrate video and lighting in a video rendering.

Vision theoretically supports video capture cards but we don't have a list of approved devices. I don't particularly care if this is Vision 2 32-bit, Vision 2 64bit, Vision 4, or Vision 2017, I just need this to work for this (simple) project. Has anyone had luck getting camera to work in the last couple years? I'm open to any suggestion (including piping it in via OpenFrameworks or Processing if I have to).

I'd like to bump this topic, would it be possible to get a response to this even if the answer is "we don't have a workflow"? I'm about ready to head into pre-production and I thought this was  "likely fixed" in SP4.

For other users interested in this topic:

I spoke with Daniel a bit ago, and there may be dependency issues present for virtual capture devices in windows 10. In other words, there may be some backend libraries missing from windows 10 to cause this to work. Daniel has noted that on an older chipset, this is working as expected. 

We at the office also have notice that mac capture seems to work as expected. 

I will update all related posts once we can narrow down the issue with virtual capture devices. 

NOTE: If you are getting no capture devices populating, a blank preview, or a black video screen within vision, please update to Vision SP4 using the direct links below, this is also a full installer:

http://release.vectorworks.net/nnapub/all/{brandedmajor}/{brandedminor}/V100/Vision2017-V100-installer4-win.exe

http://release.vectorworks.net/nnapub/all/{brandedmajor}/{brandedminor}/V100/Vision2017-V100-installer4-osx.dmg