Resources organization

Boh

Hi.

i am about to tidy up my custom VW resources and set it up better for other users in my office. I am wondering what are the advantages of saving custom resources such as symbols, hatches , wall styles etc in a user library as suggested by many people on this forum as opposed to my method of simply keeping a file called "VW Resource Library" which contains all this stuff and keeping the file in a workgroup folder and as a favourite on my resource browser? I can quickly import stuff from it as required. It is very simple and straight forward and everything is in one place.

The resources don't come up as defaults as they would if kept instead on in a user library but as a favourite they are still very accessible.

It is a bit tedious if I create a new resource that I want to put in my library as I have to open the library file to import the new resource into it. I understand with the user library system it is easy to export resources to the user library. Apart from that I don't see any distinct advantage of using it.

Are there other advantages that I am missing? 

In addition,  I have also developed a standard project template file with many often used resources preloaded into it. Over the years I have developed my own class structure with hundreds of classes many using custom hatches and render textures. The template also has commonly used viewports set up with class & layer settings all ready to go. The number of classes is getting unwieldy though so I'm thinking of culling the less used ones and putting them in my library file.

Before I start reorganising all this stuff I'd appreciate any advice, tips on how I might better organise this stuff prior to doing some house keeping on it.

Im currently using VW2016 on existing projects and 2017 on new projects.

Thanks.

I always use a workgroup folder for resources, never a user folder.

And I do similar with project templates, to include as much settings as I can.

I do also some condensed templates where I deleted most things to get kind

of an empty file version with basic settings like units.

Thanks. Yes I meant to say workgroup folder, not user folder. I just saw in another thread that in the resource browser you can export resources directly to another file without having to open the target file. I'm still interested to know how others organise the resources.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2017 at 4:17 PM, Boh said:

Over the years I have developed my own class structure with hundreds of classes many using custom hatches and render textures. The template also has commonly used viewports set up with class & layer settings all ready to go. The number of classes is getting unwieldy though so I'm thinking of culling the less used ones and putting them in my library file.

We also use many office-standard classes - to keep things simple, we keep the most used ones in a master sheet template.  We keep a file with all our classes saved as a template in our Office Workgroup Standards folder, under Workgroup/Defaults/Standards.  When we need a new class, our HAA Standards folder shows up as an option under the Import Classes menu (under New Class in the OIP).  Our Workgroup Standards folder is a shared resource across the network, and uses a similar folder structure as the VW User folder, but stored on our central server.

Edited by Chad Hamilton HAarchs