• Announcements

• JimW

How to use the Wishlist   09/21/2016

Create a new post here, stating both what you would like to see added to Vectorworks or it's supporting systems and web pages and why you would like that change made. If you see an idea you like, press the ^ arrow to the left of the post's title to promote that idea or feel free to comment on that idea with any additional considerations or concerns you may have. 
BillV

Roof Tools - Flashings

Question

I am seeking feedback on the demand for a tool to create roof flashings. Typically for tiled roofs there would be tiles along the hips and ridge, in metal roofs there would be metal flashings. In gullys there would be a variety of solutions such as metal or butynol rubber.. To draw these takes a lot of time  and a tool to do this would appear to belong overdue.  Our competitors have this facility.

12 answers to this question

Thanks Alan  for your input in agreeing it is needed,   but thanks also for the video.

I am surprised that this topic has generated so little comment. Attached is a composite image of residential homes in Australia, UK and Germany. One thing they all have in common is roof flashings  in the form of tiles or steel on ridges and in valleys. Why does Vectorworks not address this as part of the Roof Tool or as an AEC Plug in. Having to manually draw these features is complex and time consuming. Surely the point of the software is to improve the workflow. 

Typical UK House.jpg

German House.jpg

NZ :Aus Metal Roof.jpg

Totally agree. Will also watch Alans video when I have time. I made my own tiles but have continually struggled to place then in place 

While they’re at it, could they squeeze in a valley gutter tool that subtracts from the roofing/tile and purlin/batten components of a styled roof? That would be great 😁

Procedural Components would be useful here. I mean we normally fake these if we need from by duplicating the roof to create a thin roof above and replacing the shape with a double line polygon along the required edges.

If we had Components that say allowed an x mm wide band on selected edges or y mm wide bands every z mm in a certain direction. We could build maybe 80% of this function in to Roof (,wall and slab) Types. Very few components are monolithic as implied by the current system.

Agree with the comments, perhaps because so much of North American roofing is either BU asphalt shingles or flat roof systems (PDO or EPDM) we tend to fake it. Having said this, we could use roof ridges vent flashing systems, vented soffits, & built up roof systems. We rely on 2D details we keep as symbols for these as well as ice & snow guards & rails, eave flashing, drip edges, and ice & water shields. 

Not to hijack this thread, but eavestroughs & down-spouts?! Why no PIO for these as they are needed on EVERY Building without a flat roof, roof drain?

Jim

Thanks for your comments. The more contributors to this dialogue the better chance we have to initiate some action from NVI.

In respect of downspouts use this link to download Andrea Facchinello's Free downspout tool:

https://andreafacchinello.wordpress.com/downspouts-free/

He wrote the Foliage Plug In that is now in Landmark. I understand he is working on a guttering tool. If he can do it and still pursue his Architectural career what is stopping  Vectorworks !