Materials, Products & BOM

Out of curiosity (and coming from someone who doesn't really work with worksheets or BOMs), what's the advantage of creating all the separate NURBS Curves for the length calculations? Isn't there a way to pull data directly from the Extrude's "Extr" parameter? I assume this would be coupled with a Record Format attached to the object that includes a dropdown field specifying what type of specific pipe it is (as opposed to doing this with classes). And perhaps a checkbox that determines whether or not it should be included in the BOM (for example you'd leave it unchecked if it's one of those parts coming from a fabricator).

I'm sure I'm missing aspects of the workflow, so I'm asking in order to learn more about how you've arrived at your current process.

i would have to find a way to separate with more that an on or off.

& every extrusion would have to have a name so i know what it what

although the vendor is responsible for ordering the pipe material.  

i am still placing the length for that pipe on the fabrication drawings 

(for some reason i feel this is helpful) 

so i have pipe for:

site

manifold north

manifold south

branch north 

branch south

etc  

so by using classes i have an infinite amount of variety 

also i do not know of any other way

you can use line and not NURBS but its just that i have some pipe at an angle and the line tool will not slope with the pipe

"=Length" will get you the extrusion distance no matter how the extrusion was created. It will also give you length of 'extrude along path'.

Sorting pipe types by class and by record field would be my choice. A simple record with material name, job phase or whatever, estimated cost, weight, etc is not a big deal. All that data can display in your worksheet if you want it to. Worksheets can do a lot of bulk editing, sorting and summing. But you can also do it graphically. (select everything in a class and check the record.) I like to look at it both ways to double check my data entry.

My new favorite worksheet trick is to put multiple database rows in a single worksheet. Sort and sum each one, but use the same headers and show it as one object.

RickR, thanks but compare that to image below

I'm using the "count" as a note also

so they need to be singular work sheets

BCE, the lengths need to match my dimensioned drawings that way i know my worksheets are correct

(example there are 5 DR17 6" at 0.5m each so my worksheet is correct at 2.5m)

the people that this is for know it represents net and they will add a % for waste & any other manufacturing fuzz 

5972a11892ee1_WorksheetasNote.png.2bc0a85eac76eff6bc18892c702148c2.png

I made some tweaks. Mostly I added a record to show how that can work, and I did some different sorting. More fields are possible so the combination of materials and dimensions can show whatever you want.

I clearly don't understand what your goal really is. I just hope this helps with understanding worksheets a bit better.

Pipe_BOM.vwx

thanks, my goal is to have a note to call out an item and show the net length needed for that part

the company i work for then uses the net lengths as a materials base line for their spread sheets 

the big all in one spread sheet is difficult for them to read...they would rather see a single note pointing w/ the net quantity listed

the computer has a way of generation too much information. 

Edited by digitalcarbon
On 7/21/2017 at 8:29 PM, BCE said:

@digitalcarbon

I suggest you get copies of the Standard Method of Measurement Engineering & Construction

You are extracting the wrong data

Can you elaborate BCE please?

Do you mean that there is other useful data embedded in the project that should be extracted or that it should be coupled with outside data to make it more meaningful, or something else.

I'm interested in your viewpoint on this. Can you give an example?

10 hours ago, bcd said:

Can you elaborate BCE please?

Do you mean that there is other useful data embedded in the project that should be extracted or that it should be coupled with outside data to make it more meaningful, or something else.

I'm interested in your viewpoint on this. Can you give an example?

Of course there is other useful information embedded in solid geometry and extracted surfaces and the geometry and data is now used in simulations mostly by engineers

Fabricators & Contractors also use it in construction estimating, pricing & build optimisation algorithms , logistics, not to forget the project owners  use it in Life cycle Analysis

Parasolid is the best Modelling Kernell, cheap as chips with VWs, although most of  the PIO & Worksheets are pathetic and need upgrade , Thats another story

You shouldn't load up BIM Models with useless data..there are standards. The SMM uses 3 levels of division, Measurement rules, Definition Rules, Coverage rules, Developed  BIM rules,etc,etc

You need to ask questions to others  outside of this forum 

Edited by BCE