Can?t open Mac VW files in PC Viewer

Just downloaded/installed the 10.5.1 Pc Viewer on an old PC Windows 98 but it won?t open my Mac VW files (9.2 os/VW 10.1.2)

I?m e-mailing the files from my mac and downloading them on the pc and all I get is this message:

"This is an unrecognized file. It may be a Vector Works file created by a newer version of the application, it may be a very old MIni Cad file, it may have been created by another application, or it may have been corrupted by hardware or system error"

I?m not familiar with Windos so I don?t have an idea of what am I doing wrong [Confused]

Ricardo

thanks for the replies

Hugo: I will upgrade once I finish current work, don?t want to run into surprises. However I don?t think a VW 10.1.2 file should be a problem for a 10.5.1 viewer

iboymatt: When I download the file in the PC I add the .mcd extension (don?t know if this is how it is supposed to be done) and the file icon even shows the VW logo, but can?t open it.

When I was working on Mac's, they used to always save 2 files on the disk for every one data file. The second one didn't show in MacOS directories, but did show in Windows directories, and was of no apparent use to Windows.

Are they still doing that? And if so, is it possible you added the MCD extension to one of those extra files?

Ricardo,

Try to go to File>Open from within the viewer to open the file. If the file does not open, please post the error message you receive.

Another thing that may be causing the problem is the mail program on the MAC. If you have it set to encode attachments as binary, you'll run into that problem.

Either turn off encoding for attachments in the email, or send the files stuffed using stuffit or any other compression program.