Guides and Xlines

wingchudesign

Question

I thought it would be awesome to include guides (like photoshop) and the ability to snap to these guides when we're moving drawings. I think one feature I missed when i transitioned from ACAD to VW was the lack of "Xlines" (construction lines) and by including guides, it would help with layout and drawing placement.  

• Like 2

6 answers to this question

I guess i want a more streamlined version of "guides". Right now, I feel like it's a bit too cumbersome and not intuitive. For programs like photoshop, it's a one step process and there's no "conversion" process involved, the guide stretches across the entire screen and you can lock/edit/move/turn off-on snap as necessary. Though VW does have some functionality with the current "guide" tool, it could definitely be improved.

• Like 1

I suppose there would be two steps to implementing this:

1. Vectorworks incorporating a special type of line that extends infinitely in both directions (a mathematical "line" as opposed to "line segment").
  2. Similar to Photoshop, implementing a quick way to create these infinite guides by simply clicking on a ruler and dragging onto the work area. The guide line would automatically be assigned to the "Guides" class (which would automatically be created in the same way it currently is when using the "Make Guide" command).

Other than that, the current functionality could be maintained and the above would simply integrate into and expand upon what we already have.

I find the Guides menu process pretty cumbersome, so I just draw lines in that class. Or in several similar classes. Lock the class or not, lock single objects or not, show/hide sets (colored or not), use simple or complex objects (re: grid tool) and even save sets as objects for future use.

If you're looking for something in sheet layers you might make guide objects for particular page sizes. Just be sure to turn them off before printing, unless you use all Locus points.

On 7/20/2017 at 5:54 PM, Andy Broomell said:

I suppose there would be two steps to implementing this:

1. Vectorworks incorporating a special type of line that extends infinitely in both directions (a mathematical "line" as opposed to "line segment").

This tool exists on the German version. (see minute 1:00) or here: 

http://vectorworks-hilfe.computerworks.eu/2017/index.htm#t=VW_2017_Handbuch_Vectorworks%2F17_VW_WerkzBef_G-H%2FVectorworks_42-.htm&rhsearch=hilfslinien&rhhlterm=hilfslinien&rhsyns=

It's been there at least since 2012 and it is very helpful. I used it all the time.

You just press H to draw a Hilfslinie (infinite guideline) on a separate class called Hilfskonstruktionen.

The line is even pink so that it stands out from the rest.

Can't they just give a call to the German fellas and ask to borrow it for the rest of us?

Another tool I'd wish they borrow from DE version is the Draw Page tool (inserted as a subtool of the move page tool)

It allows you to draw a page of any dimension on the Design Layer or Sheet layer instead of having to go to Page Setup and then moving the page.

This is extremely useful when you want to quickly print or export something in a just few seconds. No need to adjust page sizes and checking if it fits. Just draw a rectangle and it's done.

For me it's even more useful than the Xline because it saves me hours of setting up pages during the whole project.

Check "Blatt aufspannen" here:

http://vectorworks-hilfe.computerworks.eu/2017/index.htm#t=VW_2017_Handbuch_Vectorworks%2F12_VW_WerkzBef_B%2FVectorworks_28-.htm&rhsearch=blatt&rhhlterm=blatt&rhsyns=

• Like 1