Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Marionette - Duplicate Symbol along path

NickS

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone out there can help me try to figure out how to duplicate symbol(s) along a path using Marionettes?  Self-admittedly relatively new to marionette, but have a programming background (never tried VectorScript, mostly due to no available time).  I see there is a Operations-->Duplicate node however no Duplicate-along-path node.  What I am trying to achieve is something akin to the Railing/Fence tool in Landmark, but with an ability to space balustrade symbols we have already created along the path (and hopefully in future iterations draw in posts and rails too).  The purpose of this is to save my designers time having to 3D the missing rails and posts while still being able to count the number of balustrade symbols in a worksheet for quantifying.

Currently, the tutorials I have viewed seem to be that the network runs and then you adjust variables to suit (e.g. polyline co-ordinates), rather than being able to free draw a polyline and have the network use the polyline as the basis of the duplicate-along-path (i'm sure my inexperience and impatience is going to land me in hot water with some of you!), again akin to the Railing/Fence tool

Would love to then extend this functionality into drawing retaining walls in, specifying the correct(ish) height, and quantify the required length of retaining boards (and hopefully posts too) by classifying the extrudes and dividing the volume by the respective cross-sectional areas.

Any and all help appreciated

10 hours ago, Alan Woodwell said:

Hi have a look at the videos on my YouTube channel Alan Woodwell.

Also search my journey through marionette by Louis ruse he has some great introductory ones

H Alan,

I have done a bit of youtube stalking :-) In fact, it was your extrude symbol along path that made me  think about it in the first place.  

Thanks 

5 hours ago, Marissa Farrell said:

@NickSHere's the simplest script that shows how to place a symbol along a curve at equally spaced intervals, to get you started.

The important thing is to ensure that your path is a NURBS curve.

I'd be more than happy to give you further direction if you need it :)

dupSymAlongPath.vwx

@Marissa FarrellThanks for that, will take a look this afternoon/evening!

@NickSHi, I have added a worksheet into the fence network that counts the number of palings in each section of fence and calculates the lineal metreage of the palings. Change the paling size and spacing or the height of the fence and the worksheet updates. This only covers a section of the data that can be taken from a network. You can use the principal to develop your own worksheet.

HTH

Fence_Sq_or_Circ_001+Worksheet_v2017-170719.vwx

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

hello all

Thanks to DomC my frame is working well. I have started to carve the frame.

Here comes the tricky part. To make it work I use the duplicate along path via symbols.

My frame is built via path extrude. So the object I want to cut is from path extrude and the cutting object is coming from duplicate. When I apply the solid Boolean node (substract) nothing happens. I have all my objects but no cut.

Of course to be sure I wasn’t making mistakes I tried with normal objects and it worked.

Are the objects built from duplicate or path extrude unbreakable? :S

Edited by the frog
  • 2 years later...

Hi there,

I tried to modify @Marissa Farrell s dupSymAlongPath.vwx-file as I was looking for a similar thing as Nick here. As I am pretty much "ok" with VW (about 2 years of 2D and a bit of 3D) and bloody beginner with marionette as my office just bought the architecture version. For a job I am designing a chandelier and I wanted to see multiple options to compare before getting into the details. I found the "duplicate along path" command but it didn't#t work out the way I wanted as I need to rotate while placing and need to calculate the amount of objects I want to place before doing it etc. 

I got the whole thing to the point where I can place my object of choice on a circle. Also I played around until I didn't have the last one sitting on the first etc. But now I#m still having my objects which I placed 60 on a circle sitting another 60 times on 0,0 for some reason. Can anybody please give me a hint what I am doing wrong. That would help me very much.

thx

R

Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 21.47.50.png

placing symbol on circle.vwx