how to control movement of hoist/trussing in Vision?

Hi Guys,

I guess it's possible to move truss with Vision, but how?

We need to control a movement of LED walls, but i really don't have a clou how to do that. Maybe with the hoist tool in Vectorworks Spotlight? I have VWX Spotlight, but only a Trail Version of Vision, because we are looking for a previs software for this particular use.

Thanks for your help!

cheers!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Rob, the user is talking about animated scenery in Vision. 

To do this you would utilize a DMX Transform. Make all other objects invisible, and File>Export>Export ESC. Then make everything visible EXCEPT the objects you want to move (which you previously exported), then file>export>export ESC again with a different name. Open one of the esc files in Vision then File>merge the second file in Vision. 

Now, expand ROOT in the scene graph and select the esc file of your object you want to move, you can assign a Universe/Channel to control the movement and a Delta value to determine the direction and magnitude of the move. 

Please note however, that moving an LED wall while it's lit requires some pretty beefy GPU hardware, the more lights in your scene the more GPU power you need (gaming cards, Vision renders in realtime, workstation cards don't help as much here) this is doubly true when moving the position of lights.

Make hoists, rigging, etc invisible in Vectorworks before sending to Vision, they are not used in Vision. You can float lights and geometry in the air with magic if you'd like and Vision will treat them the same. Also, Vision is limited to 5 fixtures or 100 channels of DMX, whichever comes first in the Demo version, so keep that in mind as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Unfortunately, not quite yet. While the concept worked great in Vision 2, the user friendliness left something to be desired. Currently we are exploring different ways to make DMX transforms work a bit better and easier to use than Vision 2. 

8 minutes ago, Edward Joseph said:

Unfortunately, not quite yet. While the concept worked great in Vision 2, the user friendliness left something to be desired. Currently we are exploring different ways to make DMX transforms work a bit better and easier to use than Vision 2. 

Is there a "Projected" date that you guys would like to have this implemented by?

And then a secondary question is what are the units used in the Xform for DMX Transform? In Vision 2 I was able to use Feet and inches, seems that I can not here in this scenario.

Also Being able to group Fixtures with an ESC would help when "Transforming" a Truss.