"Move 3D" command - on screen axis guides

line-weight

Question

I use this command quite a bit, whenever I want to move something along X Y or Z axes by a certain amount.

However, I never remember which is X and which is Y, nor the direction they're pointing. So, often there are some failed attempts when I type +300 on the Y axis but actually I need -300 on the X axis.

It would make life easier if some arrows could appear on screen, whilst the dialogue box for this command is open, labelled X and Y and pointing in the "+" direction.

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

Yup, I realise they are colour coded but that's not something that's intuitive to remember. Also, doesn't help with + / -

And when the "Move 3D" dialogue box is on screen, the cursor doesn't report anything.

While the info I need may be there somewhere, I'm asking for user-friendliness basically.

• Like 1

Agree, could have assist help if hover. I now know left minus right plus, Up plus and down minus.

A little + and - wouldn't go astray to make more user friendly.

If you go into 3d mode and look at the x and Y co-ordinates at bottom of screen you can see then move around as yo move mouse and you soon get the hint. But still a little x and y and + and - would help.

Edited by Alan Woodwell
9 minutes ago, Alan Woodwell said:

I now know left minus right plus.

Depends which side you're looking at it from surely!

(Poking around just now I realise that the axis lines on screen are slightly thicker on one side of the origin, which I think indicates the + direction. Perhaps the solution for now is a post-it note by my computer to remind me what the colours and thicknesses mean.)

I second that wish.

I think it is unnecessary for a Tool like numeric input  "Move 3D"

It is nice to have such a Tool as an Addition, well hidden from standard users,

as it already is in VW.

But if you ever use such a special tool, you know exactly what you want to including

which Axis, which direction and what amount, before you use it.

So there is no need for hints of axis.

The only reason why that tool is used so often is the lack of proper standard

Move and Copy Tools in VW, which could allow to do your translations without

the risk of accidentally losing control over one axis.

5 minutes ago, zoomer said:

But if you ever use such a special tool, you know exactly what you want to including

which Axis, which direction and what amount, before you use it.

I know exactly what direction and amount I want to move - but I don't necessarily know which axis that currently corresponds to. Hence the need for hints.

2 hours ago, line-weight said:

they are colour coded but that's not something that's intuitive to remember.

Actually it's a little more helpful than it may seem

red = x

green = y

blue = z

RGB = XYZ and once you identify the x-y plane the orientation, + & - becomes clearer. (& Remember the left hand rule. thumb to the sky is +z, forefinger & middle finger @ 90º are +y & + x)

Edited by bcd
9 minutes ago, bcd said:

Actually it's a little more helpful than it may seem

red = x

green = y

blue = z

RGB = XYZ and once you identify the x-y plane the orientation, + & - becomes clearer. (& Remember the left hand rule. thumb to the sky is +z, forefinger & middle finger @ 90º are +y & + x)

We could debate how intuitive - or easy to remember - all that is.

However, I think we could probably all agree that a little arrow and X / Y / Z appearing on screen at the appropriate moment would be easier.

I'm all for that - if it can be turned off or controlled in the Interactive Preferences.

There are a few various axis display graphics in use throughout the program. I'm thinking of the subject ones as well as those associated with the SubDivision object. A comprehensive  review and redesign/refinement of all of them would be very welcome.

12 minutes ago, bcd said:

There are a few various axis display graphics in use throughout the program. I'm thinking of the subject ones as well as those associated with the SubDivision object. A comprehensive  review and redesign/refinement of all of them would be very welcome.

Yes, agree with that. I like the subdivision method although I find that sometimes it is a bit unsubtle and can obscure some geometry. The translucent method used with the taper face and twist tool gets my vote. Maybe a hybrid of the two?

Edited by markdd
2 hours ago, markdd said:

and can obscure some geometry.

Obscure in a visual way ?

All 3D Apps I ever used have these kind of gizmos.

I never felt they have hidden things I needed to see.

But all Gizmos I experienced before VW SubD had elegant 1 Pixel sized arrowss.

The only issue that I have in very rare cases is that the next Vertex I want to select

lays directly under the active pixel area around the line to constraint axis or the arrow head.