biglines

Irrigation tools and a looped mainline

Vectorworks seems to not understand when I use a looped mainline. Anyone know how to set this up so that the calculations are done automatically as far as flow and pressure loss and sizing?

You are correct, the current irrigation tools cannot account for true looped mainline connections which, as I am sure you know, can dramatically lessen pressure loss in a large system.

I have put together a quick dummy test showing how VW currently handles looped mainlines and what should be closer based on real rough personal calculations.

The following article explains some of the benefits and calculations for looped mainlines, so hopefully VW will catch on with the irrigation tools soon. They are definitely designed for much smaller irrigation installations than many larger landscape architecture practices design.

https://www.irrigationtutorials.com/using-a-looped-mainline-for-irrigation/

Looped Mainline Test.vwx

• Like 1

You are correct, the current irrigation tools cannot account for true looped mainline connections which, as I am sure you know, can dramatically lessen pressure loss in a large system.

I have put together a quick dummy test showing how VW currently handles looped mainlines and what should be closer based on real rough personal calculations.

The following article explains some of the benefits and calculations for looped mainlines, so hopefully VW will catch on with the irrigation tools soon. They are definitely designed for much smaller irrigation installations than many larger landscape architecture practices design.

https://www.irrigationtutorials.com/using-a-looped-mainline-for-irrigation/

Looped Mainline Test.vwx