Josh NZ

Find Replace Text issue with Callout Notes

Can someone advise if this is a bug or not.

Have numerous callout notes in a job.

Used the "find replace text" tool to alter a piece of text.

Get pop up that 5 instances have been found and changed.

Go to the notes and at a glimpse all appears well.

Only just found if I double click on these callout notes that the text reverts back to the original.

Pretty massive issue when documenting a build.

Where these notes linked to the database? If so, then perhaps that is where the issue if coming from.

I thought you could manually edit the text even when linked to the database and have it stay, but I have not tested thoroughly enough to say for sure.

Hi Pat, no I have them unlinked as was having so much trouble with the database/keynotes.

I can go and manually edit each bit of text and it stays, but the find a replace text tool for some reason switches back.

Very worried how many notes in the projects have been affected by this.

I just ran a pretty simple test here and I am not seeing this issue.

I places a few items with Call out in the text. I then did a Find/Replace to Callout.  It did report is was doing double or more the number of replacements as there were callout objects in the drawing, but they all changed and stayed changed when I opened the edit dialog box.

It worked the same both or callouts placed manually and using the database.

I don't know what is going on in your file.

Thanks Pat, yeah I don't know either what's going on.

Another task to do manually I suspect.

I'm having the same problem among many others with this program. I have multiple pages that have the drawing label on each page that needs to be changed to something else. I've done it twice now and it reverts. This means I've wasted about 12 hours. I've saved the file each time. I've even made the change and printed immediately and it reverts just before it prints. So if I read this exchange about this issue then essentially there is no fix. Sort of like the move the Object palette to get Vectorworks to work and not hang up. How is that a fix? That and it's temporary.

• Sad 1

Hi guys.

I am trying to change an entry in a number of callouts in the Annotation Mode. I doesn't find much and when it does it doesn't actually show where the instances are. I must be doing something wrong here, because this is a simple task in most programs.

I don’t use the find and replace tool. Instead I use a housekeeping worksheet to globally edit any or all callouts in a file incl those in annotations. The worksheet has “callout” as the criteria and lists all callout record info incl what the note is, it’s description, text margin, bubble type etc. The record info is editable in the worksheet so you can summarise the text and edit all the callouts with the same text in one hit. 

When unsummarised You can right click on the row header and select individual callouts in your file. Vw will locate in your file.

Works great.

• Like 2

@Boh That's an interesting approach. I'm investigating using this for managing our keynotes.

I'm curious if you also use the worksheets as a defacto library for storing callout text standards for all of your files or if you still use the Notes Manager and then just edit within the worksheet? 

Hey @Taproot.

I hadnt thought of using worksheets themselves as a library. Not a bad idea. Is that what you do?

Yes I just keep our standard notes in a notes database. I do use worksheets but not for storing notes, but as a tool for global editing of notes to keep them consistent within a file.

I really like using keynotes and have only recently started using them in conjunction with worksheets to coordinate standardised notes across whole sets of drawings.

I used to have a system where I would place keynotes into different work section legends, eg all keynotes relating to framing were placed into a ‘Framing’ keynote legend, and all the different work section Keynote legends were placed on a dedicated ‘notes’ sheet.

Its a fairly common and straight forward way of putting a set of drawings together however there are two things I wasn’t happy with:

1) To read a set of drawings there is lots of tedious flicking back and forth between the actual drawings and the notes sheet. 

2) Subcontractors weren’t always sent the notes sheet so wouldn’t know what the keynotes were. Not ideal when they are pricing work...

So to try and improve things I have been trialling a different set up where have a keynote legend on every sheet which covers all the keynotes just for that sheet and use a worksheet to keep them the notes consistent. Builders love the easy referencing and clean, clear drawings and so far it’s working pretty well.

Doing it like this does require a good understanding of how both worksheets and keynotes work. There are some pitfalls for novices.

If you’re interested I can give you more detail on how I do it.

Also I think there have been some improvements with the notes manager in v2020 (I’m still onv2019) so maybe you or others could provide some tips or ideas on how the way I do it could be improved as I’m sure it can.

Cheers

@Boh We have a similar setup - using keynotes per sheet rather than globally.  I was pleasantly surprised to try out the worksheet idea listing callouts.  It is pretty handy to have the entire list in one location for proofing.  I sorted the list by Keynote Legend, so that I was able to keep all of the notes organized in groups.

I use the Notes Manager for General Note blocks, but typically just create keynotes on the fly to describe general callouts.  In my quest to try and develop more consistent standards, I've been thinking about migrating my callouts to the Notes Manager as well.  But, I have so many custom situations that need to be identified that I suspect that would be more trouble than it's worth.  For a larger office - it would make more sense.

I've had some challenges with the Notes Manager 2020 - namely that my notes database has decoupled from most of my past files.  Tip - don't rename your database...  Or if you do, you'll have to go through the "reconcile notes" process listed elsewhere on this board. 

For now, I think I'll let this one be and see what v.2021 has in store for us.

Yes notes database can get filled up with lots of random notes. My technique is to just have "Typical" notes set up in a project notes database. So these are notes that are used as keynotes right through a whole document of plans, elevations, section & details. E.g. for cladding I might have a keynote such:

WALL - CLADDING - COLORSTEEL
0.55 COLORSTEEL ENDURA SHEET ON 12 CD H3.1 PLY.

So that same note will be used as a keynote on multiple sheets and will be in each sheet's keynote legend. As required the note is edited globally via a worksheet so that all keynote instances stay the same.

I really like how that information is right there on the sheet for the builder however because as it's a keynote it can be repeated multiple times without cluttering up the drawing. For the notes I really want the builder to see, (i.e. the stuff the drawing / detail is actually for) I still write as a normal callouts (in bold!).

One thing to look out for is when you copy a keynote from one sheet to another it won't automatically change to the default keynote legend on the new sheet. In the The keynote worksheet it is a good idea to have a column of what layer the keynotes are on so you can cross check that the keynote is actually on the same layer as it's keynote Legend.

• Like 1