Curious Problem

Gytis

Question

I'm a bit befuddled.  When I try to open a .vwx 2017 file shared via Dropbox, VW struggles to open it, gets stuck in the "Geometry" progress bar, and then crashes spectacularly.  The screen fills with a grid of repeating complex pixel patterns which change spontaneously and also when certain keys are pressed. I would take a screenshot, but the worst part is that the machine is locked up on this screen.  I have to Force Shutdown.  It is an older (early 2011) MacBookPro and I am away from my trusty MacPro.  The file is largish but not extreme at 315 MB and I am unsure of its contents, presumably a partial model of a house fleshed-out with various bits of plants, fixtures, and furniture.

I have repeatedly restarted my machine.  I have downloaded fresh copies of the file.  I have installed a fresh copy of VW.  Plenty of other files are fine.

Any ideas or experiences?

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The only way Vectorworks supports opening things in Dropbox specifically is when you've integrated your cloud storage with a Project Sharing setup. Unfortunately we don't yet support just opening a regular file from Dropbox. If you have the file in a local dropbox folder and shut OFF the syncing desktop app, do your work, close and save, then let the app sync again you might have better results, but thats only a guess.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Well a quick way to make sure that it's nothing to do with dropbox is just to place a copy on your desktop and try opening it from there. Then if it was saved with a rendering active it should be able to open and complete it, unless the issue is directly related to a rendering as suggested.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, JimW said:

The only way Vectorworks supports opening things in Dropbox specifically is when you've integrated your cloud storage with a Project Sharing setup. Unfortunately we don't yet support just opening a regular file from Dropbox. If you have the file in a local dropbox folder and shut OFF the syncing desktop app, do your work, close and save, then let the app sync again you might have better results, but thats only a guess.

Thanks Jim for the thought and explanation, but I wasn't clear.  I downloaded the file and saved it locally, not in Dropbox.  So I don't think that's the issue.  On the other hand.....

14 minutes ago, bcd said:

I wonder if the file was saved with Hidden Line Rendering.

Thanks BCD, I was thinking similarly and am in the (unfortunately awkward) position of asking for a new file saved in wireframe.  I'll let you know what happens.