Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Customizable Symbol Attributes

Before I really dig into and learn how to use marionette I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if what I want to do is feasible? I'm guessing no based on the nature of symbols, but worth a shot. 

Im looking to customize certain properties of a symbol. For example, it would be great if I could change the horizontal alignment of text within a symbol (some instances of a symbol with text justified left, other instances of the same symbol with text justified right). Otherwise I have to have 2 symbols to accomplish what seems like a simple function. 

Thanks,

Simon

It won't be a symbol, but you could certainly create a Marionette object with a checkbox in the OIP for Align Left/Align Right. 

You could save the Marionette object inside a symbol with the Convert to Group/Object option selected so you could use the symbol insertion tool to place the objects, but they would show in the drawing as individual objects.

If you want more control you could actually make everything except the text a Symbol inside the marionette object so when you edit the symbol all of the marionette objects change.

I don't know where you can go to learn Marionette other than here. Check the other threads in this forum and take a look at what others have written.

The attached file has to slightly different versions of the same basic Marionette. One use a name typed into the OIP to get the symbol to use. The other use "Control Geometry" to define the symbol to put the justifiable text on.

Hope fully these will give you some kind of a starting point to develop exactly what you need.

Write back if you need more help.

Marionette Text Justification.vwx

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright, most of that makes sense! Thanks for uploading.

My ultimate goal would be to incorporate this all into a symbol which contains record info which is all reporting back to a worksheet. I am uploading a symbol, the idea would be to apply the justification marionette to the text contained within this symbol while still maintaining that record link so it still reports back to the worksheet. Is that possible?

Thanks!

Marionette Text Test.vwx