Teigha Library Error

gfp38

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 hours ago, gfp38 said:

I'm getting a 'Teigha Library Error' when exporting some DWGs. Does anyone know what this is?

To clarify, this is when you're EXPORTING or IMPORTING a DWG? 

If the error is occurring on import, then often the DWG format can be too new for the OpenDWG library to handle, but if you can send me the DWG in a direct message I can take a look.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

For what it's worth, I have been getting this error in the last week while trying to import into VW2017 DWGs that were saved out of the latest version of Revit. By default, Revit saves as DWG 2018 format, according to the person sending me the files. They had to a manually down-save to a previous DWG version for me to use in VW2017.

Incidentally, I even tried opening the the DWG 2018 files in the A360 Viewer and not even THAT could open the files. Oh, the irony.

-Neil

• 2 months later...

Yes, dwg 2018 is too new for current VW2017. The Teigha libraries have been updated for dwg2018 but those are not implemented in VW2017. I think they will be in VW 2018.

ODA has a DWG converter that you can use "Teigha File Converter" which can be found at the following URL and is available for Win, Mac etc. (they also have a viewer for multiple platforms)

https://www.opendesign.com/guestfiles/teigha_file_converter

• 1 month later...

@gfp38The following might resolve it for you.

I was assisting a Windows 10 user with a Teigha library error. Theirs read, "Teigha Library Error. The file could not be opened. Make sure it is not already open in another application." He had Vectorworks 2017, Vectorworks 2018 and AutoCAD Lt all open at once. I suggested he close all but the program he was using (Vectorworks 2017). - This solved the problem. 

I suggest you close any other 3D and perhaps any vector drawing applications as well, then retry. If that doesn't work, try restarting your computer as well. 

@JimWFYI

7 hours ago, Jeremy Best said:

@gfp38The following might resolve it for you.

I was assisting a Windows 10 user with a Teigha library error. Theirs read, "Teigha Library Error. The file could not be opened. Make sure it is not already open in another application." He had Vectorworks 2017, Vectorworks 2018 and AutoCAD Lt all open at once. I suggested he close all but the program he was using (Vectorworks 2017). - This solved the problem. 

I suggest you close any other 3D and perhaps any vector drawing applications as well, then retry. If that doesn't work, try restarting your computer as well. 

@JimWFYI

What sometimes can also cause this error is the preview window in Windows Explorer, i.e. if the file is selected and showing a preview then VW (and some other programs) may think the file is locked/in use.

Sometimes it is just a slow release of file locking if the file has previously been opened in another program just before trying to open it with the program you are using.

• 7 months later...