section viewport on a curve?

jnr

thanks for all the suggestions. I'm in a time crunch and I might end up drawing over top of the zig zagging section viewport I've already cut. I should of thought of extracting a nurbs or the solid subtraction approach. nothing like trying to think on no sleep.

Ok, I have a really cool solution.... and I learned something new.

I did an experiment and created a Solid Section using an extrude and the knife tool. A solid section is a form of solids operation where VW creates a sectioning plane and cuts through a solid. The sectioning plane VW creates is usually a NURBS surface. I wondered if I could create my own curved NURBS surface and replace the sectioning plane in a Solid Section. Turns out I can. Turns out the sectioning plane doesn't have to be flat.......

So if you can create a duplicate of your bridge an make it into a solid addition, you can section it on the curve. Simply create a curved NURBS surface to use as a sectioning plane, select your bridge solid and the NURBS surface and choose Section Solids from the Model menu. By playing with the Solid Section options you may even be able to get your surface to unwrap.

I've attached an example file.

Kevin

5966a5c27bcce_ScreenShot2017-07-12at3_41_32PM.png.56092ea0760536e6f778581c6126d3a4.png

Section_Solids.vwx

• Like 1
17 hours ago, zoomer said:

Might be quite tedious but polygonizing the large section into separate

part sections and finally aligning their viewports ....

Ah, I misunderstood.

I thought the target is a Section Viewport :)

Now everything proposed here makes sense.

16 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Ok, I have a really cool solution.... and I learned something new.

I did an experiment and created a Solid Section using an extrude and the knife tool. A solid section is a form of solids operation where VW creates a sectioning plane and cuts through a solid. The sectioning plane VW creates is usually a NURBS surface. I wondered if I could create my own curved NURBS surface and replace the sectioning plane in a Solid Section. Turns out I can. Turns out the sectioning plane doesn't have to be flat.......

So if you can create a duplicate of your bridge an make it into a solid addition, you can section it on the curve. Simply create a curved NURBS surface to use as a sectioning plane, select your bridge solid and the NURBS surface and choose Section Solids from the Model menu. By playing with the Solid Section options you may even be able to get your surface to unwrap.

I've attached an example file.

Kevin

5966a5c27bcce_ScreenShot2017-07-12at3_41_32PM.png.56092ea0760536e6f778581c6126d3a4.png

Section_Solids.vwx

Super useful and super cool KM, thanks.