archdaly

adding editable cells to pre-formatted schedule?

Hi everyone,

I've generated a pre-formatted wall schedule (with images) in my current document and have populated it using the data tab in the wall type tool. I require a new column for building code reference and so would like to add an additional editable column but this is proving difficult... is it not possible to edit pre-formatted schedules or do I need to generate my own worksheet?

Thanks!

sure you can add to pre-made schedules. you can right-click on a column header and choose Add Column. The real work is editing the database header to find the information you want.

So I've managed to successfully add a column, as you mention... so now, to edit the database header? I'm not sure what you mean by this...

Is it not possible to manually fill in the cells with the information that I need? Are you suggesting that I need to create a database formula and somehow link that to information about the wall type?

Thanks!

Edited by archdaly

Several things:

1. You can edit a schedule on a one off instance as Jonathan described above, but it will only be changed in that file.  If you want to make a change that will be available across multiple files, you will need to either A- Edit the original source VW file that is probably located in Applications:Vectorworks 2017:Libraries:Defaults:Reports_Schedules or B-Put a VW File that contains the edited schedule into your user folder at ~:Users:Your User Name:Library:Application Support:Vectorworks:2017:Libraries:Defaults:Reports_Schedules.  I have used the Mac paths. For the Windows version search the help for User Folder.

2. No, you can't just type in the information you want. The Database can ONLY show data that is either in a Record.Field or that is a calculated property of the object. If you have a Record.Field format, then you will have a 2-way database where you can edit the data in the worksheet and it will show up in the OIP for the object or you can edit the values in the OIP and the changed values will show up in the worksheet when it is recalculated. The Record.Field can be either the Plugin Record that is part of the wall style or a custom record format that you have attached to the objects. You can mix and match multiple records attached to the same object in a single database.

3. Most of the reformatted report have the Database Header Row hidden by default.  In order to edit the formulas that are used in the database you have to go to the View Menu and Check the Database Header option. This should give you a database header row (i.e. 3) as well as the database subrows (3.1, 3.2, etc).  You can then select the cells in the database header row to view, edit or enter new formulas. The formula that is entered is applied to each subrow based on the objects that are being displayed in that row.

4. To see all of the record.field options for the Plugin Record for an object type, place a single instance on a design layer, select it and run the script in this forum thread. You will get a worksheet containing all of the possible options.

5. You probably also need to learn about Database Criteria so that you don't end up with multiple counts when the worksheet sees both the original objects on the design layer and a copy for each viewport in the drawing.

Ask again when you are ready for more help.

On 7/11/2017 at 12:03 AM, Pat Stanford said:

1. You can edit a schedule on a one off instance as Jonathan described above, but it will only be changed in that file.

Following up on this-- I'm attempting to do what Archdaly originally requested-- creating a single column with totally customized information such as a NYC code reference, or a door data that is particular to my office and not something that there is a function or record.field option for. It seems that there must be a way to do a simple one-off instance edit for a single file as was mentioned but not described. Please Vectorworks, why do the most simple functions have to be so amazingly complicated?

Thanks, 

There is a way.  Doors and windows have 10 "User Fields" that can be anything you want.  Just call the field in the database header and put in whatever info you want.