adding editable cells to pre-formatted schedule?

Hi everyone,

I've generated a pre-formatted wall schedule (with images) in my current document and have populated it using the data tab in the wall type tool. I require a new column for building code reference and so would like to add an additional editable column but this is proving difficult... is it not possible to edit pre-formatted schedules or do I need to generate my own worksheet?

Thanks!

So I've managed to successfully add a column, as you mention... so now, to edit the database header? I'm not sure what you mean by this...

Is it not possible to manually fill in the cells with the information that I need? Are you suggesting that I need to create a database formula and somehow link that to information about the wall type?

Thanks!

Edited by archdaly

Several things:

1. You can edit a schedule on a one off instance as Jonathan described above, but it will only be changed in that file.  If you want to make a change that will be available across multiple files, you will need to either A- Edit the original source VW file that is probably located in Applications:Vectorworks 2017:Libraries:Defaults:Reports_Schedules or B-Put a VW File that contains the edited schedule into your user folder at ~:Users:Your User Name:Library:Application Support:Vectorworks:2017:Libraries:Defaults:Reports_Schedules.  I have used the Mac paths. For the Windows version search the help for User Folder.

2. No, you can't just type in the information you want. The Database can ONLY show data that is either in a Record.Field or that is a calculated property of the object. If you have a Record.Field format, then you will have a 2-way database where you can edit the data in the worksheet and it will show up in the OIP for the object or you can edit the values in the OIP and the changed values will show up in the worksheet when it is recalculated. The Record.Field can be either the Plugin Record that is part of the wall style or a custom record format that you have attached to the objects. You can mix and match multiple records attached to the same object in a single database.

3. Most of the reformatted report have the Database Header Row hidden by default.  In order to edit the formulas that are used in the database you have to go to the View Menu and Check the Database Header option. This should give you a database header row (i.e. 3) as well as the database subrows (3.1, 3.2, etc).  You can then select the cells in the database header row to view, edit or enter new formulas. The formula that is entered is applied to each subrow based on the objects that are being displayed in that row.

4. To see all of the record.field options for the Plugin Record for an object type, place a single instance on a design layer, select it and run the script in this forum thread. You will get a worksheet containing all of the possible options.

5. You probably also need to learn about Database Criteria so that you don't end up with multiple counts when the worksheet sees both the original objects on the design layer and a copy for each viewport in the drawing.

Ask again when you are ready for more help.

• 2 years later...
On 7/11/2017 at 12:03 AM, Pat Stanford said:

1. You can edit a schedule on a one off instance as Jonathan described above, but it will only be changed in that file.

Following up on this-- I'm attempting to do what Archdaly originally requested-- creating a single column with totally customized information such as a NYC code reference, or a door data that is particular to my office and not something that there is a function or record.field option for. It seems that there must be a way to do a simple one-off instance edit for a single file as was mentioned but not described. Please Vectorworks, why do the most simple functions have to be so amazingly complicated?

Thanks, 

• 1 year later...

Hi,

On a similar topic, I am trying to format cells in a database. The database worksheet (door schedule) is quite long, and I would like to use a grey fill in every other row. But as soon as I format a cell, the entire column takes on the same attribute. Is there a way around that? Is it normal.

Second question, can I retrieve cell results from a database worksheet into a regular (manual entry) worksheet. I can recall other worksheet but I cannot seem to find the proper way to recall the cell from a database as they are labelled in the format "A1.1" and the "." seems to throw off the formula.

Thank you!

The alternate grey not working is normal. All cells in a Database Column are formatted the same. Because the database is dynamic if you manually formatted a row and then the number of objects that were listed changed or the sort order changed, the formatting would likely be off. Yes, there are lots of people who would like to greybar, but it is not really possible now.

You can not access cells in a database to use in other formulas. Again, due to the dynamic nature of databases. What data are you trying to pull and is there a way to define the rows logically, or is it just something that you do by eye? If there is computer logic behind what you are trying to do then we can probably get you a formula to pull the same data.

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the quick response. I understand for the greying, that's okay, it would make things a bit more legible.

Regarding the recall on database cells, I was simply trying to retrieve all my door numbers into a manual entry worksheet. I used a workaround.

I originally was trying to get some manual input into a database worksheet but understood it wasn't possible by reading some of your older posts. The goal was to create a decent graphic output for a hardware schedule. So I ended up creating another worksheet (manual this one) format it like the database door schedule and put them right next to each other (see screenshot)

Thanks for your help!

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 5.12.45 PM.png

I don't know if you will have enough screen space for easy data entry, but you can use Record.Field to store all of this data with the actual door object and edit it in the database.

There is no way to enter random text into a cell in a database. EXCEPT when that cell is linked to a Record.Field combination that the data can be stored in.

So, if you create a custom record format with all of the fields in your hardware schedule (or at least any field in the hardware schedule that are not already part of the door object) and attach it to every door object, you will be able to then create columns with formulas like ='MyCustomRecordName'.'MyFieldName'. You will then be able to type into those fields and the data will be stored with the door object.

The best part about this is when you have to add another door and it sorts into the middle somewhere, all of the door data automatically will move with the subrows.

Custom Records are created in the Resource Manager. I would set the field type to Text. That way you can enter almost anything you want in the field. You could format them as Boolean, but then you would have to use a little pulldown for every cell.

Ask again if you need more help.

• Like 1

Thanks Pat,

I thought from your other posts on the topic the Record.Field would be the way to go but I have not had the courage to dig into it yet. I think I should, it sounds promising.

I will surely take you up on your offer for more help if needs be!

Thanks a lot!

Jean