Custom door

Hello,

I am trying to build my own custom door. the option that I get from the door menu is not what I am looking for. I am familiar with sketchup and, it is very easy 5 min job.
However, I spent the whole day on Vectorworks trying to figure out, how I can easily built my own door? There is not even one tutorial I was able to find, easily explaining to make my own door. Can anyone please help me understand the trick? I have attached the picture of the door I am trying to create. 

Thank you! 

Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-10 um 16.50.06.png

If you are just wanting to build a door and frame and not have it interact with the door OIP tool then it's a 3min job. 

faster then Ske...up.

let us know if you want it to react with the OPI or just a simple Symbol to insert into a wall will try to show you how.

regards

17 hours ago, markdd said:

Are you trying to build the door opening, or the door leaf itself?

I am trying to build the door opening with the leaf and the frame. (custom made). 

9 hours ago, Alan Woodwell said:

let us know if you want it to react with the OPI or just a simple Symbol to insert into a wall will try to show you how.

regards

Yes,  I want it to interact and it would be very helpful, if I know how to do it. :)

If you want to make a custom door and frame then it might be better to start by building what you can with the door plug-in and when you have got as far as you can, then convert it to a group. (Because the plugin object is a hybrid tool you will loose either the 2D or 3D entity depending on what view you are looking at at the time you convert. If you want both the Top/Plan and the 3D entities then copy the plugin and convert twice from each view.) Thereafter you can edit and model as you wish. It will no longer be a plug-in object but you will have the basics set out that you can add to. Convert the finished door frame to a symbol.

In order for the resulting symbol to sit within a wall object you will need to edit the symbol options (right click on a symbol in a resource browser). Check the Insert in Walls option and then experiment with the dropdown menu below to get the results you require.

See how it works out and come back if you need any more info.

The door plug-in is quite extensive and will be able to build you a frame and door to most requirements that you can then convert and embellish with custom mouldings etc. If you are not clear about the actual plug-in itself then the help section is pretty good. There is not much in the way of a youtube video that I know of and I am afraid you will need to experiment alongside the help file. Other users here may be able to help further. This website http://learn.archoncad.com/about/ is a really good place to go for tips but more detailed content needs to be paid for.

This Vectorworks video may help you understand the concept of the plug-in a little more but its more about how doors work with walls. 

RamiahL you need to make your own Hybrid Symbol for that door:

- Model the door in 3D using unique Classes to control the graphic appearance of the components.

- In Top/Plan view draw the required 2D appearance in Screen Plane objects on top of the 3D, once again using unique Classes to control the graphic appearance of the parts.

- Select both the 2D and the 3D and create a Symbol of them by choosing Create Symbol on the Modify menu. (use the settings in the image below.

- The bullseye target marker that comes up will make the insertion point where you next click so choose carefully so that the frame is where you want it relative to the centreline of the wall.  I would make it the midpoint between the left frame extremity and the right frame extremity so if you use Flip on the OIP the symbol doesn't move in the wall.

Create Symbol.png