Existing tree trunks disappeared!

JulesC

Question

I'm an occasional VW user and I'm using Vectorworks 2017. I've created a couple of existing trees, setting them as remain. I didn't set them as species, I just wanted a quick graphic to show where they are on the site.

In the 2d settings I set graphics for remain, remove and tree trunk, no significance colour, TPO zones or anything. Everything was showing fine as usual.

Just opened my file and wanted to turn off the tag for printing for a client so switched off the visibility of the tag in the viewport - it didn't work so I went into the existing tree tag and number options to double check the tag class.  I changed that to make sure the visibility changed but now I have no tree trunk showing and I can't get it to appear at all.  

I've tried creating 'new' existing trees in this document and then tried it in a new document to see if I could get it to work and the trunks just don't show.  I opened another existing document where the trunks are showing, opened the tag and number options and the 2d settings dialogue box and shut them both down without making any changes at all and now the trunks are no longer showing on those trees either.  The only way to get them back is to 'undo' but as far as I'm aware I didn't 'do' anything...

I don't know what I've done but if anyone has any bright ideas I'd appreciate some input.

11 answers to this question

On 7/10/2017 at 8:22 AM, JulesC said:

I'm an occasional VW user and I'm using Vectorworks 2017. I've created a couple of existing trees, setting them as remain. I didn't set them as species, I just wanted a quick graphic to show where they are on the site.

In the 2d settings I set graphics for remain, remove and tree trunk, no significance colour, TPO zones or anything. Everything was showing fine as usual.

Just opened my file and wanted to turn off the tag for printing for a client so switched off the visibility of the tag in the viewport - it didn't work so I went into the existing tree tag and number options to double check the tag class.  I changed that to make sure the visibility changed but now I have no tree trunk showing and I can't get it to appear at all.  

I've tried creating 'new' existing trees in this document and then tried it in a new document to see if I could get it to work and the trunks just don't show.  I opened another existing document where the trunks are showing, opened the tag and number options and the 2d settings dialogue box and shut them both down without making any changes at all and now the trunks are no longer showing on those trees either.  The only way to get them back is to 'undo' but as far as I'm aware I didn't 'do' anything...

I don't know what I've done but if anyone has any bright ideas I'd appreciate some input.

I am experiencing this same problem.  There are no tree trunks visible on existing trees, just a floating canopy.  Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 hours ago, quandong said:

I'm having the same problem.  Help would be appreciated -  thanks

In your Vectorworks application folder (HD:Applications:Vectorworks 2017:Plugins on a Mac, C:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2017\Plugins on Windows) download and replace your current Existing Tree.VSO with the one attached to this post. Reboot your machine then check the trees again.

Existing Tree.vso

9 minutes ago, JimW said:

Tech@vectorworks.net can walk you through it directly.

OK, I've worked it out.  I have to select each tree, change the trunk class to something else, refresh, select each tree, change the trunk class back to trunk-3d, refresh.  And I have to do this only in top/plan mode, any other mode and I lose all the canopy geometry.  And then all the tags have been rotated to random angles.  I've already been through this and had to manually adjust each one individually.  Time to do it again. What a tedious waste of time.  This existing tree tool is so buggy it's hardly worth using. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 15.38.37.png