SUBTRACTING A SITE MODEL FROM A SLAB

new to site models but inputted some 3d loci to create a terrain of a field that i intend to build a flat timber deck onto.......onto the site model i have set a slab which i know needs to be 200mm above ground level

on the top left hand corner which i have called datum 0  the lowest point of the fall of the land is 970mm so i have set a slab which is 1400mm deep and sent it above ground level by 200mm which will be my deck level.....

what I would like to do is a solid subtraction of the site model and the slab so i don't see the slab below the site model as shown on the attachments.....please excuse my terminology 

......but i hope you can grasp what i am trying to achieve....and advice would be appreciated ......thanks all

SITE MODEL.jpg

SITE MODEL1.jpg

TEST.vwx

Edited by Phil hunt

hi thanks Alan

yes i have pressed the wrong button and created a snapshot......no idea what a snapshot does but have inputted all the data again to create a site model with the stake tool and not a 3d loci and this does allow me to do a solid subtract which is what i wanted to do

As I have said I Inputted the levels using the stake tool......and set the levels......what I would like to show on my plan are the actual stake positions and the levels but when I create the site model they disappear .....can't see to see a box to tick so I can see these items.......or am I missing a trick.....thanks

As I have said I Inputted the levels using the stake tool......and set the levels......what I would like to show on my plan are the actual stake positions and the levels but when I create the site model they disappear .....can't see to see a box to tick so I can see these items.......or am I missing a trick.....thanks

any advice would be appreciated

In my experience a snap shot is just that.  A snap shot of the model, it loses its connection to the model however.  So any updates to the model will not update a snap shot.  Often I reserve snap shots for when Im done.  They can be layered and edited if you so choose, often I just use the snap shot and copy it over to the working file, so as to keep the model seperate and still editable in another separate file.

thanks....this is my problem that i followed from alan earlier today....for the purpose of this question i have created a simple site model using for stakes and ticking to include site model data

please see the 4 stakes with the levels and then the site model only one show up at 1500 in the bottom left-hand corner the other 3 don't appear on the file

i have included the file.....this is really frustrating as i know its something quite simple that i am doing wrong  

image capture118.png

image capture119.png

simple test.vwx

I don't believe what your seeing is 1 of 3 stakes.  I think what you are seeing is the major contour callout set in the site model settings.  If you look under preferences there is a setting to show 3D loci, which I think you used initially and should show up in a 3d view, however your looking for the stake.

Another option would be to come back in and add the stakes onto the model where you want them.  I think the model is generated from the stakes, and often used as a site modifer.

While testing your file I was able to get the stakes to show up in top/plan only, and that was after I added them in myself.  Im not sure they will actually show up in 3d views.  If you place new stakes in top plan view the will show the label and the elevation at which they were located.

Hope this helps a little.

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 12.55.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 1.01.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 1.02.38 PM.png

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello, I also have a site model subtraction question, which is how I have found my way here.

What if I want to build a tunnel, or a partially underground (with terrain on top)  building in my site model? I have a building on a steep slope. Its partial recessed into the hill so the the entry level is the 1st floor, the ground level drops with the slope. This is simple and there are lots of good tutorials on it..... But, where the hill curves around, I need to send a tunnel so it pops out on the other side, i.e underground accommodation with terrain on top.  Essentially the site model needs a hole through it? 

Whats my best strategy? a conventional model using the pad with retaining wall site modifier, then put a mesh landscape lid on top (just a mesh object) ? or is there a tunnel modifier that I can't find?

Thanks anyone.

@RDS CasaAs far as I know, grottos, tunnels, caves, arches, any undercut features   are not currently possible with standard site model techniques. But I would love to be wrong about this!

Your first idea of trench and lid approach will work pretty well.  Make the trench with pads. Your tunnel or subterranean parts of the building can be modeled with solid primitives, walls & slabs, landscape/retaining walls, etc. The lid can be mesh or loft other surface object. Or can be another site model, but this is limited if any backfilling or fitting around the tunnel/building is needed. Might be best to hide the skirt or use grid mode for the surface and add primitive objects to "fit" around the tunnel volume. In all this you also have to manage the cut fill and other data from several sources, and manage attributes of the several objects.

Another approach is to create the tunnel volume as a 3d object, eg Extrude, or Extrude Along Path or other, and use the Solid Subtract command to remove that volume from the site model. This creates a Solid Subtraction object, the Site Model shape with a hole in it, which works visually and in sections. This technique requires the Tunnel volume to use for the subtraction, and a Tunnel model (roadway, decks, vent shafts, lights, drains, emergency exits, etc) to place in the void.  Unfortunately, This technique has the same multi source problems of data management as the trench and lid.  Plus, you loose control of textures and  other attributes of the Site Model. Plus, any mods to the Site Model or the tunnel environment require enter/edit the Solid then edit the Site Model or the Tunnel volume. Working in the Solid Subtraction edit mode might also be fraught with crashes, so vigilance required (something strange just happen?) and persistance with the Save command.

If you can, please share some screen shots so we see how you are addressing the challenges.

-B

Solid Sub.png

@Phil huntand others (if this is still unresolved) in v2018, I don't think you can recover the source stakes used to create the site model, nor can you access them to show the labels. As Syncronicity suggested above, save a duplicate set of the stakes and other source objects for future use. Or draw new stakes onto the terrain surface. Earlier versions allow access to the source data.  Not sure why access was eliminated in v2018.

Stakes will present their labels on the Site Model only if the stake OIP> 3d Display is set to None.  The other choices, Extrude (shows a little 3d stake) and Locus do not present labels in 3d views. These labels are planar and parallel to the ground plane, so the label orientation might need adjusting to prevent it being buried in the terrain.

To send stake(s) onto the terrain surface, choose OIP  Mode>Set Elev to Site Model. Or use the Send to Surface command.

Adjusting the Stake z value in the OIP changes the label value , but does not move the stake up or down. (grrrrr. counter intuitive!)

-B

Show Stakes.png