Flip & Rotate around insertion point / center point

bcd

Question

Currently the Rotate & Flip commands always operate about a point or line defined by the center of an object's bounding box. This is only sometimes the desired behavior.

I would like the option to Rotate or Flip around or across an object's insertion point or center point.

eg. Symbol, Arc, Truss ...

1 answer to this question

The rotate and flip commands are (as the menu hints state) for 'rotating' and 'mirroring' the highlighted object - so in that respect it does exactly what it says on the tin (that statement may be more obvious to Brits, so sorry if its not)

Assuming I've interpreted your question correctly and you want alternatives to the basic operation, introduce a locus next to or within your object's bounding box and (with both highlighted) the operation Command/Control L (and/or the use of the additional shift with R,H and V) will rotate/flip the 'whole'. Just needs a bit of experimentation on where you would like the locus to be placed to give the desired result.

This will work with any number of individual items + the (very useful) locus provided you highlight all of them at the same time.

Bear in mind if grouped they will behave as 'one' and will use the (default) centreline which I believe is what you are trying to find alternatives for. If you need to have them grouped for convenience just 'edit group', carry out the flip operation to suit your requirements and 'exit group'.

Hope this helps