Better PDFs

Tom Klaber

Question

11 answers to this question

I agree too. VW PDF's are definitely bloated, there's no question about that. There's should be an option to flatten them when snaps aren't needed by a client (eg. if sheet layer viewports have both a vector component and a bitmap component, they should get merged into a single bitmap component). I often Publish as images and then combine those in Acrobat to form a PDF as a workaround for smaller PDFs.

Kevin  

2 hours ago, bcd said:

My understanding of the problem is that pdfs contain every single vertex and every single polygon irrespective of whether it's being masked or not.

Flattening is vital.

There's definitely something to that. I often get the "The PDF document contained some masked images that were not downsampled" alert when trying to shrink VW PDF's in Acrobat.

VW will output fairly efficient vector only PDFs if I don't want shading or definition in my drawings. It will also output fairly efficient bitmap only PDFs. Its only when I want the best of both worlds that things balloon out of control.

KM

• Like 2
On 7/6/2017 at 11:31 PM, Tom Klaber said:

VW creates some BLOATED PDFs.  4, 8, 20, 40mbs.  Running it through the Acrobat Reduce size can cut it down the same PDFs down so far its measured in Ks.  Not super urgent, but it would be nice if VW could work on the PDF creation so that the natively exported PDFs were a little leaner. 

A much requested feature!