Faces can't be selected on certain extrudes

tsw

Question

Hello,

This is a weird problem I haven't had before. For some reason in the attached file, I can't draw on the faces of the lighter extrude when active plane is set to Automatic. I also can't use the Set Working Plane tool on the faces of the extrude. Selection also behaves oddly—I can only select the object by clicking points/edges of the extrude, not the faces. It's like Vectorworks doesn't "see" the faces. This happens with any new geometry I create with any of the rectangle/circle/polyline drawing tools in this file.

If I paste in an extrude made in clean file (the darker one in the attached file), it works as expected. Also if I convert the lighter object to a generic solid, shell, or do any solid/subtract operation it will then work as well.

Has anyone encountered this before? I'm on the PC version of VW2017 with SP4 installed. Any ideas, short of migrating everything to a clean file? I'm hoping it's something as simple as a setting somewhere that I turned on by accident. 

I've attached the file in case anyone can take a look and see if it happens on their setup too.

Thanks for any suggestions! 

test.vwx

image 01.jpg

image 02.jpg

4 answers to this question

23 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

This has happened to me multiple times lately, though I don't know what the underlying cause is...

Good to know it's not just me! I haven't had this happen until recently. I installed Service Pack 4 a few days ago, but I don't have any way of knowing if that introduced the problem, or if I've just been lucky up until now.

Things I've tried so far:

1. Resetting Vectorworks preferences per this article: Link
  2. Exporting to VW2016 and seeing if the problem persists in an older version of the file (it does).

I found out what was causing the problem!

When I imported a DWG for this project, I used the option "Center first import". Importing this particular DWG had the side effect of moving the User Origin really far from the Internal Origin (76,215 feet). Once I reset the User Origin, everything seems to be behaving as expected.

Anyway, I hope that helps in case anyone else encounters a similar problem.

screenshot.jpg

It shouldn't be a problem if the user origin is shifted far away

but the geometrie is close to internal origin.

You will need it that way if you need to export again later to

those world coordinates.

i had similar issues with VW 2017 where Push Pull Tool was not able

to select certain faces until you "sent to front" these elements.

I tried again and it looks like I have no problems with it so far.

Maybe SP4 fixed that and brought the extrude thing as a side bug.