Same file open in more than one Tab

Matt Overton

Question

It would be good (ie Faster working) if the same file could open multiple tabs with different views.

Better if certain navigation operations were configurable to do this automatically. Such as navigating into design layers from a viewport making it easier to switch back and forth.

Great for leaving one task as it is, then jumping to another part of the file for builder phone calls or team coordination discussions. Then quickly get back to working view.

8 answers to this question

Sounds like the wish for an easier access to saved views for me.

3DConnexion Enterprise may worth to look at, lets you jump between 3 saved views.

But the bigger problem remains, switching between DL and SL.

Enterprise does not allow to switch between DL and SL saved views like the VW dropdown does.

So I second a fast switch between last DL or SL,

by TAB, Shortcut or just a button.

Yes.

and,

maybe some more flexibility for Navigation Palette.

(Sometimes people asked for display of Layers AND Classes at a time)

So a way to let users choose and arrange which of the Tabs are visible at the same time.

Like for example arranging Nav Pal to a 3 window view,

with a large Class column left and 2 smaller Layer + Sheet windows horizontally

divided on the right.

8 hours ago, JimW said:

Like this? Or differently implemented?

Something different and in part driven by this.

say your madly working through steel detailing coordination so you have a set of views set up like this. The phone rings it’s the builder who is doing first set out in the shed you are doing works to. The client has moved all the stuff out of the way and there are a few quirks to the existing heritage brick facade he wants to talk about and how they effect set out. 

If I change my view in the file a lose my place and view set up for the work I need to get back to now later in the day.

the more complex the view set up is the more VW cost we have dealing with what are just natural parts of the job. 

2 hours ago, Matt Overton said:

If I change my view in the file a lose my place and view set up for the work I need to get back to now later in the day.

Wouldn't you just make a Saved View so you can return to it later? You could then delete it when you're done with it.

Or save your file, change your view for your discussion and then Revert back to the saved state?

Its not to say I don't want a Multi-View interface, or that what you're asking for doesn't have merit, but I'm not sure multi-view will ever do exactly what you're asking for without getting super complicated to manage.....

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
27 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Wouldn't you just make a Saved View so you can return to it later? You could then delete it when you're done with it.

Or save your file, change your view for your discussion and then Revert back to the saved state?

Its not to say I don't want a Multi-View interface, or that what you're asking for doesn't have merit, but I'm not sure multi-view will ever do exactly what you're asking for without getting super complicated to manage.....

Kevin

Great Idea, Might have a look tonight at building a script to make a one click timestamped named saved view to add to right-click or key. I could always then go back rename if useful.

To me it is not multi-view in the sense that the views are not on-screen at the same time.  it's more like having the file open a number of times each time logged into project sharing as separate user or user with a different hat on.

55 minutes ago, Matt Overton said:

To me it is not multi-view in the sense that the views are not on-screen at the same time.  it's more like having the file open a number of times each time logged into project sharing as separate user or user with a different hat on.

That makes complete sense to me. I don't have much experience with project sharing but it sounds like there should be the ability to also log in as view only so you can retrieve information without worrying about making any changes that stick.

KM