Fence to follow sloping site

Hi Guys,

Any ideas on how to put a fence into a site to follow the contours of the ground that slopes away from a building..... as most fences are in real life not infact, single perfectly level lines Vectorworks seems to work in!! 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Stu

• Like 1

One way is to use a Wall, set to 6ft High and about 2" thick, and textured with Wood Decking (turned vertically it looks just like fence boards). Draw the wall in Top Plan, on the Site Model Layer, then use the Send to Surface command. Once done, you will need to add some top vertices and adjust their elevation accordingly. Post back with further questions if needed.

22 minutes ago, CipesDesign said:

One way is to use a Wall, set to 6ft High and about 2" thick, and textured with Wood Decking (turned vertically it looks just like fence boards). Draw the wall in Top Plan, on the Site Model Layer, then use the Send to Surface command. Once done, you will need to add some top vertices and adjust their elevation accordingly. Post back with further questions if needed.

Top vertices? have absolutely no idea what that means... at all ! lol

If you examine a Wall in 3d by Double Clicking, or by selecting the Reshape Tool, you will notice that in it's basic form there are six little nodes (vertices); one at each corner and one each at midspan along the top and bottom of the Wall. These define the Wall. One way to think of these is that they are almost exactly like the "handles" on a 2d rectangle (or polygon); but these are in 3d. If you create a basic Wall, then double click, you will also see that new options become available in the Mode Bar (by the way, all of this stuff is in VW's Help!). The first is Reshape. Try grabbing one of the corner vertices and pull it up or down; watch what happens! The second is "+", you can use it to create a new Vertex by clicking on an existing Vertex and pulling the new Vertex in the desired direction. The third is "-" which is used to delete a vertex (note: some vertices cannot be deleted as they are integral/required for the form of the Object). I recommend that you open a new file and play with these functions. I think you'll quickly get the idea. P

• 7 months later...
39 minutes ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

It surprises me that the railing fence tool can’t be drawn in plan and then simply sent to the surface of the site model to follow it exactly.

Yes, that would make life a lot easier and would seem like a fairly obvious functionality to provide.

Edited by line-weight
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, line-weight said:

My workaround was to project a polygon down to the site surface, then draw the fence snapping along its bottom edges.

If you then 3d move the 3d poly the height of the fence you then have a line to snap to get the top of the fence a constant height above the site. This works for the wall tool, not sure about fence tool - need to try that...

1 hour ago, Boh said:

If you then 3d move the 3d poly the height of the fence you then have a line to snap to get the top of the fence a constant height above the site. This works for the wall tool, not sure about fence tool - need to try that...

It's not necessary for the fence tool as it maintains a constant height, unlike the wall tool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I had been told by my local supplier (Megabits) that this ANZ fence tool would be re-enabled / working in VW2022 SP2.. we're on to VW2023 and still I can't seem to work out how to draw a fence that follows the topography.. 
Is there a new way of doing this I'm not aware of or is it still broken? 

Seems like a very basic thing to be able to do. Especially in rural landscapes where fences are both common and important features.  

• Administrator
On 9/30/2022 at 3:47 PM, Tom W. said:

what is the latest on the OzCAD evaluation process given that this is from 13 months ago?

@Tom W.Currently, I don't see any plans for the other tools, but plans can be adjusted. It will be better to submit this request as a Wish in the forum and then we can see the level of interest in the community. Thank you for your interest.