Jump to content
Stu Wilson

Fence to follow sloping site

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys,

 

Any ideas on how to put a fence into a site to follow the contours of the ground that slopes away from a building..... as most fences are in real life not infact, single perfectly level lines Vectorworks seems to work in!! 

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

 

Stu

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

One way is to use a Wall, set to 6ft High and about 2" thick, and textured with Wood Decking (turned vertically it looks just like fence boards). Draw the wall in Top Plan, on the Site Model Layer, then use the Send to Surface command. Once done, you will need to add some top vertices and adjust their elevation accordingly. Post back with further questions if needed.

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, CipesDesign said:

One way is to use a Wall, set to 6ft High and about 2" thick, and textured with Wood Decking (turned vertically it looks just like fence boards). Draw the wall in Top Plan, on the Site Model Layer, then use the Send to Surface command. Once done, you will need to add some top vertices and adjust their elevation accordingly. Post back with further questions if needed.

Top vertices? have absolutely no idea what that means... at all ! lol

Share this post


Link to post

If you examine a Wall in 3d by Double Clicking, or by selecting the Reshape Tool, you will notice that in it's basic form there are six little nodes (vertices); one at each corner and one each at midspan along the top and bottom of the Wall. These define the Wall. One way to think of these is that they are almost exactly like the "handles" on a 2d rectangle (or polygon); but these are in 3d. If you create a basic Wall, then double click, you will also see that new options become available in the Mode Bar (by the way, all of this stuff is in VW's Help!). The first is Reshape. Try grabbing one of the corner vertices and pull it up or down; watch what happens! The second is "+", you can use it to create a new Vertex by clicking on an existing Vertex and pulling the new Vertex in the desired direction. The third is "-" which is used to delete a vertex (note: some vertices cannot be deleted as they are integral/required for the form of the Object). I recommend that you open a new file and play with these functions. I think you'll quickly get the idea. P

 

Share this post


Link to post

Stu, look at the end of this Vw video.  It shows how to do a fence that follows a sloped site.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The method shown in that video is not very useful, because in most cases you want a fence to follow a line determined in plan view. You need to be able to project that line onto the surface of the site.

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

It surprises me that the railing fence tool can’t be drawn in plan and then simply sent to the surface of the site model to follow it exactly.

Yes, that would make life a lot easier and would seem like a fairly obvious functionality to provide.

Edited by line-weight
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

Stu,

you can work around this by using property line as a texture bed. Then you can use that to snap along the boundary edge.

My workaround was to project a polygon down to the site surface, then draw the fence snapping along its bottom edges.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, Its a shame that the AUS/NZ fence tool hasn't been incorporated into the full VW rollout, it allows send to surface.

Also is attached a Marionette file that sends a fence to a terrain may assist in the interim.

Capture.PNG

Send_to_surface_004Cv2018.vwx

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, line-weight said:

My workaround was to project a polygon down to the site surface, then draw the fence snapping along its bottom edges.

If you then 3d move the 3d poly the height of the fence you then have a line to snap to get the top of the fence a constant height above the site. This works for the wall tool, not sure about fence tool - need to try that...

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Boh said:

If you then 3d move the 3d poly the height of the fence you then have a line to snap to get the top of the fence a constant height above the site. This works for the wall tool, not sure about fence tool - need to try that...

 

It's not necessary for the fence tool as it maintains a constant height, unlike the wall tool.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Alan Woodwell said:

Hi, Its a shame that the AUS/NZ fence tool hasn't been incorporated into the full VW rollout, it allows send to surface.

Also is attached a Marionette file that sends a fence to a terrain may assist in the interim.

Capture.PNG

Send_to_surface_004Cv2018.vwx

 

Looks like that tool lets the top rail be below the top of the vertical pieces which is also handy.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...