Trying to learn VW, please help

Hey, and thanks for clicking.

I am totally new to VW, and i need to learn to use VW before the end of july since im starting at a job where i promised id learn VW before i start... VW seems wierd to me. im going through the tutorials, and im at the end of the SkatePark tutorial, atm. creating the gazebo..

Here is my problem... When i follow the instructions, the objects i create, they keep beeing created at the "bottom ground floor". In the video the guy just creates squares and what not with ease, not having to replace the object to the right surface.

Ive attached an image to show what i mean. Ive tried both making the cube in layer Workplane, and in Screen Workplanne.. it still ends up at the bottom....

http://www.vectorworks.net/training/2017/getting-started-guides/freeform-modeling/gazebo This is the link to the toturial... please help... im going crazy -.-

Screenshot 2017-06-29 16.17.57.png

Screenshot 2017-06-29 16.21.23.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi! I helped make this series of videos.

With the rectangle tool Active, and nothing selected, what do you have selected in this menu?

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 10.23.55 AM.png

I was using "Automatic" which checks for geometry directly beneath the cursor and acquires a surface to draw on. However, Automatic will only be available when you have a tool active that can make use of it. The Selection tool for instance can't be set to "Automatic" since it doesn't create objects.

Hey Jim, thanks for the fast reply.

Some how i cant select automatic when i use the rectangle tool. Ive tried both with screen plane and layer plane. Its the same result i get. the square ends up on the bottom.. I feel like there is something basic i dont understand / catch in the earlier tutorials?

Screenshot 2017-06-29 16.36.12.png