Global Lighting with All Fixtures Off

Gidday Team!

Its been a while, Im hoping someone has a quick fix nowadays. If I have lighting fixtures in any viewport, even if the fixtrues are all truned off, I find that the global lighting in the scene disappears. Often I dont want to focus every light, but I do want them to be hanging in the roof. Is there a way I can have the lighting of the scene act the same as when there are no fixtures in the scene?

My current workaround sees me duplicating the lighting layers, turning off the originals and converting all symbols to polygons or groups to get around this., There must be an easier answer right? Thanks so much for your help!

Heya Brandon,

I have tried this, it creates an interesting new effect when I do that. Increasing the ambient light makes surfaces, corners etc appear washed out and lose all definition. It doesn't take me back to what I would see if I have all layers with LX fixtures turned off. I understand that if I have even one light on it should remove global lighting in order to accommodate my new lighting, but when there is no lights actively on in the drawing this should remain the same as it had before right? Thank you so much for getting back to me!

• 2 weeks later...

Lighting Device objects contain a render light, and as soon as you add a render light to a drawing, Vectorworks "turns out the work lights," or in other words, does not create the automatic directional light that comes from over your left shoulder.  The easiest workaround is to add in a directional render light to your model.  I'll sometimes put this in its own layer so it's easy to turn on and off.

HTH,
Josh

I agree with Josh. I have a set of classes in my template file simply for render lights. One of those classes is labeled "ambient" and I'll put a point source there. Sometimes multiple sources to reveal what I need to reveal. I set those lights to color by class so I can completely change the overall ambient experience. Regardless, I get to control all of that without relying on the generic VW ambient light.