VW crashes when rendering

1. VW crashes when I try to render certain drawings in OpenGL. This does not affect all my drawings, and those drawings that it does, I can render in RenderWorks. I assume that VW is corrupting the files. I have noticed it happening from time to time in the past.

Beyond copying and pasting into a fresh file, does anybody have any ideas for getting around the problem?

2. I am trying to convert a model to hidden line rendering. The file is only 4.6Mb. Every time I attempt this VW comes back to me after half an hour and tells me that I don?t have enough memory. I have been able to do this with much larger files in the past. The model is symmetrical, so I have tried just selecting the right side components??..same problem.

I know that I should get some more RAM and a faster PC, however I live in a remote location, RAM(except the sheep variety) is days away and a new PC is weeks away. Any suggestions for ?get arounds? in the meantime?

Christian

VW10.5.0

W2K SP4

550 Mhz 392 RAM

I have just worked out the answer to my question 2. Only took me half a day!

Convert as many of the objects to NURBS, particularly 'Sweeps' and 'Extrudes along a path'. It reduces the file size dramatically. In a test file with 13 components, I reduced the file size from 4.48Mb to 0.68Mb. The objects then convert to Hidden Line, even on my PC.

Katie - Is there any chance of VW showing an objects' size in KB in the Info palette? It would be very useful when modeling.

Christian

christian,

We currently do not have object sizes on the Object info as you probably already know. I can add this to our wish list.

As for the crashing OpenGL files, try upgrading the video card drivers for your card. OpenGL uses the cards hardware and this may have something to do with it.

Mark

If this is a driver issue, why am I able to render some drawings in OpenGL and not others?

I take your point about upgrading the driver, but I am loath to do it, the last time I did this it caused mayhem and I ended up reverting back to the original.

Is there anyway to fix a corrupted file?

Thanks for adding that to the wish list.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by christian:

2. I am trying to convert a model to hidden line rendering. The file is only 4.6Mb. Every time I attempt this VW comes back to me after half an hour and tells me that I don?t have enough memory.

If you don't want to convert to nurbs (as you've found can help), try reducing your 3-D conversion resolution in the preferences. That affects how small of polygons it uses to approximate the surfaces when doing hidden line rendering.