Support for 3D 'Wall Detail' component returns at windows [implemented]

Christiaan

Question

25 answers to this question

This is an essential need so model derived Sections and Details can be correct. 

We need to be able to have the required appearance in 2D and 3D on all four sides of an opening.  

We also need to be able to have different behaviours on each jamb for contexts where the building condition is different on each side.  For example when Door and Window units are ganged together or when one side of a Door or Window unit is adjacent to an internal corner or a projecting pillar.

A more complex need that also needs to be solved is the treatment around the edges of non rectangular openings like 'L' shapes and circular/polygonal openings.

• Like 3

I will add my vote as well. It is not only for the sake of the section viewport (as masking and 2D cosmetics in the annotation viewport can be a (timeconsuming) work around. But if we want to use or model in a BIM way or even just for 3D rendering. This is essential. 

Also the wrapping works only on the side wall. I want to be able to wrap the top wall. 

As an illustration : I managed more or less to get the window I want in plan view : 

But here is what if looks like in 3D : top jam is not hidden (no wrapping of the wall) and the insulation is visible (no 3D wrapping)

>>> So I tried to add external trim as a work around... but the top gap remains... 

plan view.PNG

3dview.PNG

3dview2.PNG

Hello all,

Not sure if this subject is still valid but I could use some help. I see that the wall component returns work for the PIO windows but not for a custom symbol.

Anybody know if it's possible ? In 3d clipcube the wall components follow the 3d wall opening I defined for the symbol but in 2d view they do not.

5ab54422610e6_clipcubewallcomponentswindow.thumb.jpeg.9abc9112edbc1dd639b54863e23da96a.jpeg5ab544256a2e2_plancomponentswindow.thumb.jpeg.356a294e171020f3f44b7c2dc28bba8b.jpeg

I'd just like to bump this request again. The lack of 3d returns make the use of the editable window and door tool useless. I cannot see why this has not been fixed in the last 5 years despite repeated requests and the fact that better tools exist in different regions of Vectorworks

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Eric Nickerson said:

I was really hoping this would be resolved in 2021 given that Rubina directly talked about it in her design summit video. Hoping maybe it will make it into a service pack.

It's really difficult to make models look good without being able to wrap finish components into the windows and doors.

Exactly.

17 minutes ago, Tobias Kern said:

all combined with the new material source, for getting the right masses in tabels

The materials coerce the fill, and fill only, not the pens, to some attributes or class.

And as it is now, you cannot use materials only for the data, you MUST swallow the coercive fill.

This means that if you need an object above, which normally would be drawn with dashed lines, you must either duplicate the material (with all the data) or, which I advise you to, not use the material.

We need materials detached from this fill attribute. Data only.

Edited by _c_
20 hours ago, Christiaan said:

The workaround I've been using for a while now is simply to set the texture of the components manually in the Wall Style. Generally 'white paint' for any components inside the window position and whatever the cladding texture is for any components outside the window position.

Christiaan, we are speaking here about the new resource type Materials. They strangely take over control of the fill of whatever unlucky object you apply them to.

Try them please on a wall component or structural member where the things are seen as above cutting plane. There you are, they display cut, no matter what you do.

So there you go, you can only use materials when you are sure that they never need a cut plane-ruled display.

Edited by _c_
10 minutes ago, Alan.AHA said:

My point remains, there are workarounds but none of them fix the limitations of the tool itself. 

I began filing issues about the lack of proper wrapping in 2D and 3D around 2007. It's a crux.

The wall insertion in VW is very basic, to put it down mildly.

Edited by _c_
8 hours ago, _c_ said:

Christiaan, we are speaking here about the new resource type Materials. They strangely take over control of the fill of whatever unlucky object you apply them to.

Try them please on a wall component or framing member where the things are seen as above cutting plane. There you are, they display cut, no matter what you do.

So there you go, you can only use materials when you are sure that they never need a cut plane-ruled display.

So, if I'm hearing you right, the same would be true for walls you wish to show below the cut, such as a short pony wall. There is no way to give that a solid fill and still have components/materials be the same as a wall that is part of the cut?

12 hours ago, Eric Nickerson said:

So, if I'm hearing you right, the same would be true for walls you wish to show below the cut, such as a short pony wall. There is no way to give that a solid fill and still have components/materials be the same as a wall that is part of the cut?

The attribute display of walls and their parts has become on my opinion a matter of such a complexity, that I rather avoid adding materials on to it.

If you use a material for a component, and let's say that it has a fill by class, the fill of that component is not overridable any longer in the wall/wall style dialog.

If you don't use the material, but just the same class, you can do it.

1.thumb.png.e908879231739c4d74b36f1d8926a4c7.png

2.thumb.png.c5106fbc50c3cedd5e6190ba88af9a2e.png 

1679792382_ScreenShot2020-09-19at08_51_58.thumb.png.76beb60420b1a1f320b1dc5dbd68140c.png

On 9/18/2020 at 11:54 PM, _c_ said:

The attribute display of walls and their parts has become on my opinion a matter of such a complexity, that I rather avoid adding materials on to it.

If you use a material for a component, and let's say that it has a fill by class, the fill of that component is not overridable any longer in the wall/wall style dialog.

If you don't use the material, but just the same class, you can do it.

Thank you for the thorough explanation. It seems the best solution, which I have since seen suggested in other threads, is to have the ability to define attributes for above and below the cut of a wall within the materials.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:42 AM, Christiaan said:

The workaround I've been using for a while now is simply to set the texture of the components manually in the Wall Style. Generally 'white paint' for any components inside the window position and whatever the cladding texture is for any components outside the window position.

@Christiaan Could you explain how you do this? I am relatively new to 3D + a bit dismayed at the much-discussed inability to wrap components around reveals except in plan. If I take what you say literally you mean half your components share the internal finish + half the external finish, just to have them show the correct finish on their exposed edges within the window reveals? So what happens if you want to strip off an outer component + show the material behind? Or maybe I misunderstand.

I suppose the components can at least retain the correct 2D fill for display in section.

I made a 1mm thk extrude along path to get a practise window looking right but hardly a practical solution + doesn't help when it comes to vertical sections... (ignore the colours I just did the pink interior + green exterior to help understand the orientation of window + sill in the wall but that's another story!)

Speaking of which, is there a reason why it's necessary for the sill to extend right the way back to the inner face of the wall?

I know from trawling through the posts that there are massive shortcomings with this tool + I don't want to repeat what's been said many times already, I'm just interested to know what creative workarounds people have found to achieve better results than me. Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

1059400079_Screenshot2020-10-16at21_23_09.thumb.png.74f39e90247e4b2d51375f32d797d613.png1248575106_Screenshot2020-10-16at22_46_00.thumb.png.018f021d8424dd27e9ceb325056649d9.png745834388_Screenshot2020-10-16at22_45_01.thumb.png.58897615f3d491d2d6a54bd1f1e440f3.png