Question

Hi All,

I have had a brief look on the forum but have been unable to find a similar issue as having been identified or resolved - apologies if i've missed it and am duplicating.

Since updating to SP4 (yesterday) i've had the following error message appear when trying to download a symbol from the resource library. It applies to ANY resource which is available to me but not downloaded. I've tried a few simple fixes (library refresh, restarts etc.) but not a fresh install as I'm on the road at the moment and that's not really an option for me. Anyone else experienced and managed to resolve this issue? Any assistance would be appreicated!

I'm logged in as the (only user) Admin on my computer, and running a 2016 MacBook Pro, 2.9GhZ Core i7, 16 GB Ram, Radeon Pro 460, fully updated.

Error message reads as follows:

Vectorworks was unable to download the online resources from the (XXXXX.vwx). Verify that you have write access to the application libraries folder and try again.

(Random resource download attempt screen grab of the error attached too)

Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 07.56.06.png

12 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Pat Stanford said:

Go to Applications:Vectorworks 2017:Libraries and do a Get Info. At the bottom of the window what does it say about Sharing and Permissions?

Are you running as an Administrator or as a Standard User?

Hi Pat, thanks for responding.

The folder is marked as Read & Write for all users. (System, Admin, Everyone)

I am running as Administrator - my machine just has the one account.

I hadn't actually tried this before I posted, but turns out the problem only exists with objects I try and download from the 'Vectorworks Libraries' section of the resource manager. If I download something from the 'Subscription Libraries' section I don't have the same error and it downloads and installs fine.

Thanks again.

I don't know the difference between where VW tries to store the two different types of objects. Actually I don't even know the procedure to download either type of objects.

The error message definitely appears to be from the operating system. Wherever VW is trying to save the data to you don't have access. 

Have you restarted VW? Restarted your computer? And the problem still exists?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
36 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I had a version of this same error appear when the Library Catalog tried to automatically update yesterday and again this morning. Its definitely something that was introduced in SP4.

Kevin

59565fba5c043_ScreenShot2017-06-30at7_26_07AM.png.2307cade5203468d08e3bb09ca7431f7.png

20 minutes ago, I F A said:

I'm having the same issue.Warning.jpeg.c463c8d6b50fa80b53c8d99908e6d1c4.jpeg

This was done AFTER updating to sp4 or before?

Support also advises performing this procedure on your Vectorworks user folder in Application Support: 

With some guidance from Tech Support, I changed the privilege at the VW2017 application level and applied to all files/folders within. I restarted my computer and VW. 

I received a notice "New online resource library catalogs are available for download. Would you like to update your library catalog now?"

I chose Cancel. Now the resource library works fine.

On 6/30/2017 at 9:36 AM, I F A said:

With some guidance from Tech Support, I changed the privilege at the VW2017 application level and applied to all files/folders within. I restarted my computer and VW. 

I received a notice "New online resource library catalogs are available for download. Would you like to update your library catalog now?"

I chose Cancel. Now the resource library works fine.

I am having the same issue with VW2019. I have changed the permissions of the VW2019 Application folder (and the Library folder within) to Read and Write and restarted computer and VW. Still has the same issue.

Can you please explain how you changed the privilege at the application level and applied to all files/folders within?

Thank you